Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Moving Multiple Email Messages Together

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ocean77

ocean77

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 28 September 2014 - 11:57 PM

Need help, only have a few days. My wife and I are switching ISP so I need to move her email messages (total messages 2222) from one email provider to her Yahoo account I just created. Is there a way of just moving (dragging) from one account to Yahoo if it is on the same computer? She is using Windows Vista. Please tell me I do not have to send theses one by one. I could sure use some help. Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 29 September 2014 - 12:05 AM

The current ISP account, does she use web mail or an email client?

It's late for me. I am about to shut down the computer but will check back here during the day.

In the meantime, someone else may also offer suggestions/advice/the answer to your question.

#3 Space_Cowby

Space_Cowby

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 29 September 2014 - 12:18 AM

If you are using outlook you will be able to create a archive PST file. I doubt drag and drop will work to a web based mail system to be honest.

#4 ocean77

ocean77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2014 - 03:40 AM

She is using Comporium.net   If I could just save it all to the computer or Flash Drive that would be fine. Could this be done? Thank you!

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 29 September 2014 - 09:18 AM

If you are using outlook you will be able to create a archive PST file. I doubt drag and drop will work to a web based mail system to be honest.

Actually you will NOT have to create an archive file in Outlook or any other email client currently being used.
All you will need to do is change the email account settings in the client to those of the new ISP. Mail from previous ISP will still be there and after changing the settings the account will work with the NEW ISP.

Yes, you can save it all to the computer if using WEBMAIL.

Download and install an email client such as Windows Live Mail, Thunderbird, Eudora, etc.

Configure the client to work with your ISP mail servers. Your ISP may have online help which will give you the settings. Find the settings BEFORE installing the client so you will have the handy when needed.

After configuration mail in the inbox will download into the client inbox.

If the account is an IMAP account, any folders she created *should* also download to the client.

If a POP account, she will have to create new folders in the client with the same names as those in her webmail. Also create one for temporary use.

After the inbox has downloaded to the client, move the mail to the temporary folder created. Open one of the folders, move the mail to the inbox, download into the client and move into the newly created folder. Repeat the process for each folder. You will want the inbox to be totally clear before downloading each invdividual folder mail.

If I remember correctly Windows Live Mail has leave a copy of messages on the server set as default. This will leave copies in webmail. With other clients you will have to set them to leave a copy on the server if you want them to remain in webmail.

If she does set up WLM and INBOX mail is still on the server after downloading, CREATE A FOLDER FOR TEMPORARY USE and move inbox mail to that folder before proceeding with moving OTHER folders to the inbox.

She can also export her address book. Your ISP help files for email should have directions for this. Then use the client help files for import directions.

After you change providers, if she wants to continue using the email client all she has to do is open the client and change the account server settings, user name, password, etc to match those of the NEW ISP.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 29 September 2014 - 09:32 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users