Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DNS look-up failed

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 canning_s

canning_s

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 28 September 2014 - 10:42 PM

Hello,

I am using Google Chrome and I have Windows 8. Quite often, I am getting the following error when browsing to a web page:

This web page is not available

The server at forums.techguy.org can't be found because the DNS look-up failed. DNS is the network service that translates a website's name to its Internet address. This error is most often caused by having no connection to the Internet or a misconfigured network. It can also be caused by an unresponsive DNS server or a firewall preventing Google Chrome from accessing the network.

Can I please have some help to fix this problem?

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 29 September 2014 - 08:06 AM

Is it always to the same site that you receive this error or random sites?

#3 canning_s

canning_s
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:03 PM

It is not always the same sites. Quite often it is Google as well as StackOverFlow. Often these sites open up correctly, other times, the DNS failed error occurs. Also, sometimes when the DNS error occurs, I can open up the same page in a different browser, and the DNS failed error does not occur, and sometimes it does occur.

Edited by canning_s, 30 September 2014 - 04:53 AM.

#4 shoot259

shoot259

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2014 - 12:15 PM

i also get this error on my windows 8 laptop using google chrome, and i cannot find anything causing it, but to fix it temporarily i've gone and done a windows 8 troubleshoot of the network adapter weather it be LAN or WI-FI

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,590 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2014 - 05:25 PM

What are you currently using as your DNS servers?

Have you tried switching your DNS to another provider like Google DNS or Open DNS?

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/

https://store.opendns.com/setup/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users