Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intallation Repair Stuck/Freezes

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#1 Kaityf

Kaityf

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 28 September 2014 - 04:38 PM

A couple of days ago, my computer shut down and then restarted. It went to check the disk, but was taking forever (almost 24 hours), so I  shut down, and tried to restart. Same thing - although I didn't wait so long for chkdsk to run. I installed my XP disk to run repair console that way.  It took a while, but not as long as the other method.

It says it found one or more errors, but nothing was fixed as XP still wouldn't boot up. I tried again, but this time with /R, which I thought was supposed to check and repair errors.  It took longer, but same problem. I tried it about 3 times. No luck.

I also tried reverting back to a restore point.  Didn't work.

I finally decided to try a installation repair. That isn't working either because I can't get through it. It keeps stalling/freeing before it finishes. It tells me that there are problems with the USB ports (can't remember the exact wording) and if I continue, the system will become unstable. So I said not to install the files. But the program froze.  I tried again, this time telling it to go ahead.  Same thing. I even tried a different XP installation disk. No difference.

The place where the program stalls is just before another file needs to be added - NVIDIA display driver. It asks me to retry, cancel, or browse to find it in another location, but I can't move the mouse or use the keyboard. The program freezes just before I reach that section. 

I have been hunting for solutions and found one that suggested using the repair console to manually insert the missing dll (nvcuvid.dl_) to the appropriate Windows folder  and then try the repair installation.

However, there are two problems with that. One is that I don't have that file. The other is that I don't know if that will work or cause more problems.  I'd even have to search for how exactly to do it,

So...does anyone have some ideas on how I can fix this problem?  I am planning to transfer all my files and programs to a new computer, so thankfully, I had already backed up most of my critical files, but there are other files there that I would like to get and unless I can get the disk working, I can't transfer my programs from the old disk. I'm not even sure I could transfer any files with one disk not booting up.

Help!  (And thank you)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2014 - 06:33 PM

I don't understand...you talk about transferring programs to another system...that's not going to happen.  You will need to reinstall those programs.

And...if the intent is to move to a new system...why are you fooling with the old system?

FWIW:  If you ran a chkdsk /r for more than 7 hours or so and you don't have a tremendously large hard drive (larger than anything known to exist right now)...I'd say that there's a good chance that either your file system or the drive itself if mangled beyond any idea of future use.

Louis

#3 Kaityf

Kaityf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2014 - 07:13 PM

::sigh::

I use a program called laplink to transfer programs and files from one computer to another, so it can definitely happen. I've done it before. But that isn't the issue. The issue is the drive and what I can do with it to get it to function again. I am asking primarily about the fact that the installation repair is getting hung up. I provided the other information as background so people would know what I've done already. 

Chkdsk did not run for over 7 hours, not when I did it from the repair console anyway. I inserted the Windows XP installation disk and used the chkdsk command there. It told me that there were one of more desk errors.

Can I create a new partition on the drive and do a clean install of XP?  I've done that before, but I'd prefer to see if the installation repair can work. I don't know how to get it to finish installing.  Are you telling me that when the installation repair hangs, the disk is fried? I've read that that can happen. Someone did manage a fix that I mentioned - copying the needed file via the repair console.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 28 September 2014 - 07:25 PM

Because the installation hangs it could mean a bad drive. I would download Seatools for DOS. Burn the iso and do a diagnostic on the disk to see if it passes or fails. If it passes I would then download memtest86+, burn the  iso and run a memory test. The longer the better. Overnight should be sufficient.

Tutorial for Seatools

#5 Kaityf

Kaityf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2014 - 08:11 PM

Thank you. I will try that.

#6 Kaityf

Kaityf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2014 - 12:06 AM

While I was burning a disk for that suggestion, I tried chkdsk again. This time it said it found and repaired one or more errors. I was able then to complete the reinstallation repair - sort of.  The message that came on said that this portion of the installation was complete and I should remove any floppy. So I did. But the computer still won't boot up. I now am in an endless boot loop. The message that shows up (and immediately disappears) says the Security Accounts Manager initialization failed because of the following error: The media is write protected.

Any ideas on that one?

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,446 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:37 AM

Security Accounts Manager (SAM) is a registry hive but I am not sure why the media should be write protected. Can you access safe mode and in the options select Disable Auto Restart on System Failure? Reboot and see if it throws a stop code.

#8 Kaityf

Kaityf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2014 - 02:59 PM

Same thing. I repeated the chkdsk /r and again I got a message that one or more errors were found and repaired. I then wanted to boot up to disable the auto restart, but the system restore just started up again. I selected the option to stop it, but I got a message that Windows is not fully installed (or something like that).  Not sure why it's not, since it's already there. Does it mean the repair isn't complete?  Anyway, I allowed setup to continue. It did and I got  message that set up is complete, remove floppy. I did. The computer restarted and then on the screen appeared a message, Setup is being restarted....

I finally managed to boot into Safe mode to disable the auto restart, but it didn't matter. The computer was on an endless loop of setup is continuing...to windows starting up to the message about the media being write protected to setup is continuing to windows starting up to ... well, you get it. I got into Safe Mode three times to disable auto restart.  Still restarted. 

Any ideas?

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,446 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2014 - 03:15 PM

I would do the disk and memory diagnostic. Is there still anything you are trying to get off the drive?

#10 Kaityf

Kaityf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2014 - 04:24 PM

Yes, I will try that. And yes, there is still more I want to get off that drive.  As I had explained, I have a program that is ready to be used that will allow me to transfer all my files and programs. That means I don't have to reinstall everything, some of which I no longer have the installations disks for. I will lose a lot. All I need is to get the dang thing running long enough to allow me to do the transfer. WIthout that, my life is not going to be easy.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,446 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2014 - 04:29 PM

Okay, I understand now. I looked up laplink and how it can transfer programs and settings. I did not think that was possible. Hopefully it's just a memory issue and not a hard drive problem.

Edit: Are these the steps you used to make a XP reinstall over the old. Just a question. You said you removed a floppy. What was that used for?

Edited by JohnC_21, 29 September 2014 - 04:37 PM.

#12 Kaityf

Kaityf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2014 - 05:59 PM

Laplink is GREAT.  I've used it before. Love it.  Anyway, yes, those are the steps I took to do the installation repair. I get all the way to screen 16 and that's where the endless looping takes place. The computer starts to boot up with the Windows screen, but then I get the message about the SAM being write protected. Then it boots up again with the message that setup is starting again or whatever the verb is they used. And it does the same thing. I get to screen 15 with the message that the installation is completing, windows is restarting in X seconds and to remove any floppies (by which I assume it means CDs). I take the boot/installation disk out, and the same thing just keeps happening over and over.  It will not complete the installation process because of the write protect problem.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,446 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:14 PM

I can recommend one thing but I can't say if it will work or not. Download Puppy linux. Use v5.2.8. Burn the iso file and boot to the desktop. Click on the HDD that has windows,it's probably sda1, and the File Manager will open. Browse to the location of the SAM hive which would be Windows/System32/config. Rename (same as windows - right click rename) SAM to SAM.bak. Then try to do the reinstall. It may fail because when you do the reinstall, it may not find the current Windows installation but if it does then there is a good chance the install will go through and you will not get the SAM write error.

Edit: you would need to change SAM.bak to SAM if the installation failed as your computer would not boot. I would check the hard drive and RAM first though as outlined in my previous post.

Edited by JohnC_21, 29 September 2014 - 06:22 PM.

#14 Kaityf

Kaityf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:48 PM

Ah. I did try something lilke that before. I moved the SAM file to a temp folder and then copied SAM from the repair folder to that Windows folder. That didn't work. I wonder if I have the wrong installation disk.  Hmmm.  So I would essentially have no SAM file when I try the installation repair?  Is that why the repair might work? It would install a  new one?

I probably won't get to any of this until Wednesday as I need to catch up on work and I actually have to go to work physically tomorrow.  Most of the time I work at home.

I'll let you know what I find out about the Sea tools thing. I already got the program and got a disk ready to use.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,446 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:54 PM

That was my thinking. You would not have a SAM hive and Windows would install a new one but I don't know if it would work. I don't understand why the error said media was write protected. 

Edit: SAM from the repair folder is the one Windows creates during the install. There are also SAM folders in the System Restore Folder that contains all the restore points but your first post said your System Restore did not work.

Edited by JohnC_21, 29 September 2014 - 06:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users