Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows licensing

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Bellzemos

Bellzemos

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 28 September 2014 - 02:38 PM

Hello!

I have a few questions regarding Windows 7 (and 8) licensing, I hope someone will be able to help me as I've asked around already and no one was able to told me for sure.

I need a licensed copy of Windows 7 (or 8, but preferably 7) for an office computer in a business company (in Europe).

I would of course like to get it as cheap as possible, preferably used or whatever it takes for it to be as cheap as possible while still legal of couruse.

So, can the retail copy be bought second hand and installed on another computer (after being deleted from the previous computer)? Can I get it that way?

What about OEM copies? Can I use one, second hand maybe? Probably not, right?

And what about the COA license? I've seen those offered online, is that legal for a company computer?

Is there anything else, any other way? I really don't know much about licensing and can't find the answers at the Microsoft pages. I emailed them but of course got no reply.

Thank you for your help in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,850 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 28 September 2014 - 02:58 PM

Take look here: An Explanation of OEM, Upgrade, Academic, And Full Versions of software

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,997 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2014 - 03:05 PM

Hi,

Hello!

I have a few questions regarding Windows 7 (and 8) licensing, I hope someone will be able to help me as I've asked around already and no one was able to told me for sure.

I need a licensed copy of Windows 7 (or 8, but preferably 7) for an office computer in a business company (in Europe).

I would of course like to get it as cheap as possible, preferably used or whatever it takes for it to be as cheap as possible while still legal of couruse.

So, can the retail copy be bought second hand and installed on another computer (after being deleted from the previous computer)? Can I get it that way?

Yes. If the number of installations wasn't exceeded for that key. If I'm not mistaken it can be used 3 times then it could be necessary to contact directly Microsoft and have a prove of the original purchase.

What about OEM copies? Can I use one, second hand maybe? Probably not, right?

No. OEM licenses are bound to a specific hardware.

And what about the COA license? I've seen those offered online, is that legal for a company computer?

To be legal you need to have the original Windows 7 install disk and the COA with the corresponding key to glue into the machine

Is there anything else, any other way? I really don't know much about licensing and can't find the answers at the Microsoft pages. I emailed them but of course got no reply.

Ask on the stores near you about a Microsoft legalization kit, it should cost you around the same as the OEM version. Basically you are purchasing only a Windows key and no disk you have to download it from the Net, it's possible to download Windows 7 directly from the Microsoft servers.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#4 Bellzemos

Bellzemos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2014 - 03:30 PM

Thanx for the info!

So if I would buy a used one I have to see if it's a retail version and not OEM.

And if I was to buy the Microsoft legalization kit, do I get the key and the sticker for the computer (afaik it's needed)?

Which of these options lead to the Microsoft legalization kit?

untitled.jpg

Again, thank you!

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 28 September 2014 - 03:31 PM

You can purchase a nice legal copy from many sources for about 80 US, that eliminates ALL possibles issues.  If you don't do it right the system will get flagged by MS sooner or later!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#6 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,997 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2014 - 03:35 PM

Thanx for the info!

So if I would buy a used one I have to see if it's a retail version and not OEM.

Exactly.

And if I was to buy the Microsoft legalization kit, do I get the key and the sticker for the computer (afaik it's needed)?

Yes the kit includes the key and the COA.

Which of these options lead to the Microsoft legalization kit?

Did you try my link?

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#7 Bellzemos

Bellzemos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2014 - 04:56 PM

Yes, I tried the link and it sets me on a site where I'm asked about my location and am then presented with the options which I pasted in a screenshot.

@ OldPhil - a RETAIL copy for 80 $? Because here in Europe the OEM version is about 100 €. And I can only get it if I buy the components at the same store.

So anyway, let's say taht I've decided to buy the OEM version of Windows 7 at the seller here who will sell me all the components (it's the only way possible anyway) and it's over 100 Euros.

What I'm worided about now is this - the end user has an old copy of MS Office 2003 Basic - I've read on the internet that the Basic Edition is only available in OEM installs. He got it when he bought the old computer which had Windows ME OEM on too.

So, will the old OEM Office 2003 Basic work with the new OEM Windows 7? Technically the Office 2003 and Windows 7 are compatible but I'm asking about the combination of the old and new OEM licesing - is it legal? And - will it activate and work properly together?

Thank you.

#8 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,997 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2014 - 05:25 PM

Yes, I tried the link and it sets me on a site where I'm asked about my location and am then presented with the options which I pasted in a screenshot.

Check the two pdf's attached showing the information available on the website.

Attached File  legalization_licensing_solutions.pdf   77.21KB   2 downloadsAttached File  The Get Genuine Kit.pdf   103.62KB   1 downloads

So anyway, let's say taht I've decided to buy the OEM version of Windows 7 at the seller here who will sell me all the components (it's the only way possible anyway) and it's over 100 Euros.

What I'm worided about now is this - the end user has an old copy of MS Office 2003 Basic - I've read on the internet that the Basic Edition is only available in OEM installs. He got it when he bought the old computer which had Windows ME OEM on too.

So, will the old OEM Office 2003 Basic work with the new OEM Windows 7? Technically the Office 2003 and Windows 7 are compatible but I'm asking about the combination of the old and new OEM licesing - is it legal? And - will it activate and work properly together?

Legally you can't move an OEM version to a different computer.

___
Rui

#9 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,464 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2014 - 06:12 PM

Have a look at this link - it's the cheapest offer of Win 7 Professional I have seen yet - £30, appprox €37. I make no warranty about the company but I followed a link from Amazon UK. Do note that it is an OEM copy and is therefore tied to the computer it is installed on -

http://www.techee.co.uk/buy-operating-systems/microsoft-windows-7-professional-oem

SleepyDude is correct about not being able to legally transfer OEM software from one computer to another, but on top of that you should also be aware that MS support for Office 2003 ended in April, the same date as the end of support for XP. That is not to say you can't use it, and you can certainly still buy Office 2003, it just means that MS is no longer providing any updates or patches for it.

Chris Cosgrove

#10 Bellzemos

Bellzemos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2014 - 07:51 PM

What an offer! But - isn't it so that they can sell me the OEM copy ONLY if I buy a computer from them too?

I think that OEM license can't be sold just like that. So I'm told. I understand that it can't be moved to another computer after it's installed but also, as I understand, it may be sold ONLY together with hardare (computer).

Am I totally wrong (I certainly hope so)?

#11 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,997 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2014 - 03:22 AM

What an offer! But - isn't it so that they can sell me the OEM copy ONLY if I buy a computer from them too?

I don't think its OEM because they don't provide the installation Disk.

I think that OEM license can't be sold just like that. So I'm told. I understand that it can't be moved to another computer after it's installed but also, as I understand, it may be sold ONLY together with hardare (computer).

Am I totally wrong (I certainly hope so)?

That is the Microsoft rule but not all the shops respect that.

___
Rui

#12 Go The Power

Go The Power

• BC Advisor
  • 525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 30 September 2014 - 03:47 AM

Hello,

If this is going to be for a company, how many computers are you trying to get licensed? If it is a few or even in the future a few, you may be better off with a VLK (Volume License Key), either with using a MAK license or a KMS license.

MAKs allow a predetermined number of activations. This number depends on the type of agreement you have. The number of activations can be revised (at the request of the customer or of Microsoft) to accommodate your regular usage.

KMS (Key Management Service) is a way to Authentication multiple machines by connecting to a dedicated internal server. The authentication takes place every 180 days, this process is done automatically when the machines logs in or over a VPN session. The KMS host doesn’t have to be having its own server it can be added to an existing co-location server.
For Windows to pick up the there is a KMS key present, Windows has to be assigned a specific key. This key is the same across any network that is using KMS Activation. What the key does is it tells windows to look for KMS host. KMS activation is only available for Windows 7 pro and Windows 7 Enterprise.

But these of course are only worth it if you will be after a large amount of licenses in the long run.

#13 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,997 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2014 - 06:00 AM

Just for future reference I will add some more info on this...

Hello,

If this is going to be for a company, how many computers are you trying to get licensed? If it is a few or even in the future a few, you may be better off with a VLK (Volume License Key), either with using a MAK license or a KMS license.

MAKs allow a predetermined number of activations. This number depends on the type of agreement you have. The number of activations can be revised (at the request of the customer or of Microsoft) to accommodate your regular usage.

KMS (Key Management Service) is a way to Authentication multiple machines by connecting to a dedicated internal server. The authentication takes place every 180 days, this process is done automatically when the machines logs in or over a VPN session. The KMS host doesn’t have to be having its own server it can be added to an existing co-location server.
For Windows to pick up the there is a KMS key present, Windows has to be assigned a specific key. This key is the same across any network that is using KMS Activation. What the key does is it tells windows to look for KMS host. KMS activation is only available for Windows 7 pro and Windows 7 Enterprise.

But these of course are only worth it if you will be after a large amount of licenses in the long run.

For KMS activation the minimum number of clients required is 25 for Windows licenses and 5 for servers or for Microsoft Office.

Edited by SleepyDude, 30 September 2014 - 06:03 AM.

___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users