Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help with Windows Defender

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 LoveFreelywPeace

LoveFreelywPeace

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 28 September 2014 - 02:37 PM

Hey there! Hope your day is GREAT!

I can't get Defender to run and I called Toshiba (I have a laptop I bought last year) and they said it would cost me $100 for the call to fix it! GTFOH!!!

So, I would like to see if anyone out there can offer me some advice to get this fixed. It CAN'T be that difficult and Toshiba can make their money off someone else.

Also, I have downloaded the 30 day free trial of Norton Internet Security and it's gotten rid of a lot of junk/spam but I can't seem to get Windows Defender to work. It keeps bringing up this message:

THE SERVICE COULDN'T BE  STARTED:

The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation.

Click Help for more information about this topic.

Error Code: 0x8007139f

The supposed HELP screen is absolutely useless so I'm buzzing around the net trying to figure this out. Any takers? Please?

Thanks either way!

Edit: Moved topic from Introductions to the more appropriate forum.~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,564 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 29 September 2014 - 04:21 PM

What operating system are you using? Error Code: 0x8007139f indicates Windows 8.

If using Windows 8, be aware that Windows Defender on Windows 8 is not the same as Windows Defender on earlier operating systems. Windows 8 Defender includes anti-virus protection and may be disabled by the installation of a third-party anti-virus program. Windows 8 Defender will remain disabled until the third party anti-virus has been completely uninstalled and then Windows 8 Defender needs to be activated if you choose to use it.

How to turn Windows Defender On or Off in Windows 8

If you intend to keep a third-party anti-virus like Norton Internet Security, then Windows 8 Defender needs to remain disabled.

Some anti-virus programs may do the same with the earlier version of Windows Defender on older operations systems such as Windows 7, Vista, Windows XP.

Turn Windows Defender on or off
Windows Defender is turned off or not working
How to Turn Windows Defender On or Off in Windows 7

Since you are advising Windows Defender service Could not be started...did you check to ensure the service was not stopped/disabled? These are instructions for restarting Windows Defender...How to Start/Stop Windows Defender service

To start (enable) a service, press the WINKEY + R keys on the keyboard or click the Start Orb > Run...,
and in the Open dialog box, type: services.msc
Click OK or press Enter.

Note: You can also click the Start Orb and in the Search Box, type: services.msc

Windows Services will open:
  • Click the Extended tab at the bottom to view all the info on your services.
  • In the Services applet, scroll down the list and find the Windows Defender service.
  • Double-click on the name of the service to open the Properties page.
  • In the Properties Window > General Tab that opens, click the "Start" button if it is stopped.
  • From the drop-down menu next to "Startup Type", click on "Automatic".
  • Click "Apply", then "OK" and close any open windows.
Note: If your system is Windows 7 or older, I recommend leaving Defender disabled and installing a more effective program like Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users