Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

People who abuse internet being sentenced

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 palerider2

palerider2

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 28 September 2014 - 01:52 PM

Hi All

Attached are a couple of links to articles about people who have abused the freedom of the internet, have been traced and sentenced. There seem to be quite a few of these. In the UK, particularly, there is a disatisfaction with those who claim to be using their 'freedom of speech' to attack largely innocent victims.

Generally the attackers hide behind anonymity.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/09/02/twitter-troll-jane-austen-note-stella-creasy_n_5752056.html
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-27648521

Some readers will know that I've been viewing BC for a while and contributing occasionally since about May this year.

Generally I've only posted in General Security because an issue has arisen that needed to be solved. I've received good advice from BC.

I'm not certain whether I should use the term hacker, cracker or just abuser to describe the person who's been attacking my PC, almost daily, since April. It's highly unusual for someone to target a stranger and pursue them with an almost insane doggedness for that time. But the articles linked show that this *is* actually possible. You don't have to be doing anything wrong.

That said, the identity of my PC-attacker has become known to me and he lives in the UK, in the northern part of the country. I've been assisted by google, so thank-you to them. :)

This forum is US-based but I'd like to know what advice BC can give for bringing about a prosecution for hacking by someone who lives in the UK.

It turns out that I know this person from years ago. Has a bit of an inferiority complex which may have provided motivation, but the sheer persistence has caused his identity to be revealed.

This is 100% genuine, as readers since May will recognise. The pattern is there.

Thanks in anticipation,

palerider
p.s. he posts here as well. Largely, attempts at social engineering, as far as I can see. In one thread he described himself, vicariously, as 'best of the best'. Since I now have his name, he got that wrong. Proof: AA.

Edited by palerider2, 28 September 2014 - 01:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 palerider2

palerider2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2014 - 07:26 PM

All quiet now.

Amazing how much courage an anonymous hacker has compared to being in the open.

I'll be in the north of England pretty soon and I've added a new destination to my itinerary :)

See you then, hacker, if you're not already detained at Her Majesty's pleasure.

In the meantime here's the cheapest way for you to replace the modem that you broke:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sierra-Aircard-320u-pocket-modem-4G-LTE-3G-WCDMA-unlocked-/191308993413?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item2c8ae79385

It doesn't need to be new but it must be unlocked. I'm sure that you know where to have it delivered. :)

Edited by palerider2, 03 October 2014 - 07:41 PM.

#3 palerider2

palerider2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2014 - 03:25 AM

Oh hello, what's this ? A resumption after a week off.

Sorry, not good enough.

I happen to know that the editor of the Evening Post 'back home' is quite keen to know your identity.

How many years have you plagued their site ?

A prosecution by them is virtually guaranteed, provided they know who you are...

Think on, brave one...

Edited by palerider2, 08 October 2014 - 03:52 AM.

#4 palerider2

palerider2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2014 - 04:57 AM

Well, you took some time off but you resumed again.

The habit appears to be unshakeable. An addiction perhaps, based on the anonymity.

Here's another account of someone like yourself:
https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2320180

Interesting reading.

And bear in mind that, because you ignored the last warning, your identity will now be revealed to one of the parties who eagerly wishes to know your name. There are quite a few :)

So, when I said that I know who you are (and demonstrated it), which bit of that did you fail to understand ?

Edited by palerider2, 23 October 2014 - 04:58 AM.

#5 maggot7

maggot7

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 28 October 2014 - 04:16 PM

Hahahaha, what on Earth is going on here?

#6 Ratedgore

Ratedgore

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2014 - 02:29 PM

Hahahaha, what on Earth is going on here?

I am not 100% sure but I think there is someone on his computer !

#7 maggot7

maggot7

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2014 - 04:01 PM

Wouldn't Notepad suffice then? This seems pretty ridiculous.

#8 palerider2

palerider2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2014 - 05:28 AM

Just noticed the extra comments. No problem with people commenting :)

Yep, this is an unusual situation.

It's probably unusual because it requires three factors to be present for the perpetrator
i) having a somewhat obsessive, perhaps even psychopathic, character
ii) access to hacking methods, produced by others (i.e. the internet underground)
plus, crucially, having access to an internet wiretap
iii) discovering an old acquaintance who lives in another country

This thread has been useful in sending messages to the perpetrator.

But, in addition, I think we will see more of this crime. More and more people are getting access to hacking material. And, while viewers of this forum are fairly well educated on security matters, there are millions of people out there waiting to be hacked. From what I read there are plenty of psychopaths.

Regarding the up-trend of this stuff, even during the period of my research I've noticed an increase in people being prepared to take hacking of PCs seriously.

Remember back in 200n when people first began reporting that their XPs had been hacked somehow ? Enter MetaSploit and clones.

palerider
p.s. didn't get the notepad gag, sorry :((

Edited by palerider2, 01 November 2014 - 05:33 AM.

#9 maggot7

maggot7

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2014 - 11:54 AM

It's probably true that there will be more "hackers" as time goes on, but there will also be more security measures. Eventually everything will be encrypted and only able to be decrypted based on a biometric unique identifier. I think that the biggest safety is that hacking is not particularly easy, and people will not get hacked without a reason. So if you reasonably lower the attractiveness of hacking into your particular computer, it is the equivalent of not wearing flashy jewelry in a sketchy neighborhood.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users