Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I transform my old desktop into a decent gaming system?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 hrdwre

hrdwre

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 28 September 2014 - 12:44 PM

Here's the video that gave me the idea:

The old desktop I have is an Athelon x2 64bit, with 2 gigs of ram (that's the max). If this build is possible, I think I'm going to skip windows to save money and just install SteamOS as soon as it becomes downloadable. Unless it's possible to use Windows 8 on a 2nd, new PC (once this build is obsolete for playing most games).

Any advice or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

Edited by hrdwre, 28 September 2014 - 12:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 28 September 2014 - 09:49 PM

If your max is 2GB on the current mobo, then you'll need to upgrade the mobo, and thus you would be required to purchase a new CPU, RAM, motherboard, GPU, and perhaps a PSU.

Not doable in 150 dollars, considering that your CPU could cost that much.

What is the full current specs? Download and run Speccy and post a screenshot if you can.

mYIGVc5.png

#3 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 02 October 2014 - 10:13 PM

Naw yeah it's a bit to outdated sadly.

I haven't seen any games in a while that only require 2GB of RAM. Same goes for the dual core Anthlon (and seeing what it's paired with), it's probaly one of the weaker ones anyway that don't meet the min for games that list some kind of dual core CPU as a requirement.

Yeah... is obsolete all around all ready for anything other then the usual web surfing.

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users