Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mounting a bracket to the motherboard

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ksinley

ksinley

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 28 September 2014 - 12:42 PM

Hello, I have a couple questions,  I got me some artic silver thermal paste for my cpu, and i have just got the old bracket off the old motherboard. I also blew out all the dust i could out of the fan and other stuff too to avoid ruining the new motherboard. I used a can of compressed air. Also this, is a socket 775 motherboard.

This is the specs before i go any further: 

• Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1800 ATSC/QAM/NTSC/FM TV Tuner PCIe Capture Card
  • Quad cored processor  1.8 Ghz (or close to it),  its an intel processor
  • 350 watt power supply
  • 2x of "2GB 2Rx8 PC2-6400U-666-12-E3"
  • 2x of "1GB 1Rx8 PC2-6400U-666-12-ZZ"
  • I believe its a 750 GB hard drive
  • radeon hd 6450 video card
  • WIndows vista (may plan on upgrading to windows 7 but not sure yet)

I just copied and pasted what i posted in an earlier message.

Anyways, how would i apply the bracket to the new motherboard safely? also i need a good tutorial to clean the cpu and whatever else i would need and how to apply the thermal paste properly and how much to use.  I have tried youtube videos but the people in the comments kept saying that this person did something or a couple things wrong.  Im gonna be doing almost a "monkey see monkey do" kinda thing since i have no idea what im doing in this part.  So i dont want to do something that a certain person did and they did something wrong and i will possibly ruin the motherboard or cpu chip.

When i took the bracket off, it seemed like it had some kind of a double sticky paper that matched the shape of the bracket.  THe paper tape or whatever i trashed it as it was ripped and such so definitely not reusable i assume.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 28 September 2014 - 02:21 PM

I'm guessing that the "bracket" is the heat sink which is attached on top of the CPU?

If you have a camera please take a picture of this and post it here.  Do not host it at a website where it will require being downloaded to a member's computer.  You can post the picture in your next post as an attachment.  

Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options

Post2_zpsf05c0430.png

When you click on More Relpy Options  you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you want to post, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

BCreply1_zpsc36d42fc.png 

There are two surfaces that need to be cleaned before applying the thermal compound, the shiny metal surface of the CPU, and the smooth side of the heat sink.  You can use a plastic card, like a debit or library card to clean the majority of the old compound.  But be careful not to scratch the surfaces you are cleaning.  You can use ispropyl alcohol to remove the remaining residue of the old compound.

After both surfaces are clean apply a small amount of the thermal compound, about the size of a grain of rice.  Spread this uniformly over the shiny metal surface of the CPU.  Then attach the heat sink on top of the PCU.

Please note.  You do not need to remove the CPU from the motherboard to do this. 

Arctic Silver 5 is a popular thermal compound, you can purchase it at Newegg for about $9.00 US dollars.

Edited by dc3, 28 September 2014 - 02:23 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 ksinley

ksinley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 10 October 2014 - 08:12 PM

sorry for late reply,  i have been busy but thanks, i will post the picture tommorow, :)  I have been working on this project on my free time and i have so much going on its hard to find time for this lol

And the bracket is the brass looking thing that looks like an X shape that connects the heat sink from underneath

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41fR6klnDCL._SY300_.jpg

it looks similar to the picture in that link,  but its a brass color, not black

Edited by ksinley, 10 October 2014 - 08:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users