Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A little boot grub help please

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 heyyou325

heyyou325

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 28 September 2014 - 11:10 AM

I've been trying to change some of my operating systems.  Still looking for just the right ones.  I tried installing Peach over Fedora, and I had to do a reformat on live gparted and erase Fedora before I could do that.  But one problem is I still have the grub on my boot partition, and I can't seem to install a Peach grub to open Peach.  The Fedora grub (while it is trying to boot) says Fedora doesn't exist on the computer, and it gets into the bios to "dracut:/#" and has a flashing underscore next, and doesn't go beyond that.  Can I somehow delete those 3 boot options from my boot partition, and how.  Also, and more important.  I can't install the grub for Peach in the boot partition.  The install on the computer asks if I want to install it on another partition.  It might be a ubuntu grub, as Peach is supposed to be a hybrid between ubuntu and another deb, or something like that.  Peach says it has 2 different grubs (grub 2 and burg) but it won't let me change which I try to install, saying it doesn't have a device to go to.  I wrote the message down somewhere, and now can't find it.  Not very good with screenshot yet either, especially from a live disk.  Gparted from the live disk says Peach is installed on sda13, where I had fedora, and the size is right for it.  Is there some way I can access it to use it installed.  I like it on a live disk.  I also have mint, on sda7 which I haven't been able to access, since I installed Zorin (another ubuntu os).  I have read several places the all the ubuntu grubs are named the same, because of that, you can't have 2 on the same partition.  Would there be a way to change the name somewhere and get them both on, add a 2 or something?  Or is there another way to access the OS?  I would also like to try Lxle, but it is also a ubuntu distro.  Would it work to install the grub on a different partition, like maybe have 2 or 3 boot partitions?  If I put it on the root partition, how would I access it at boot up?  

I have a 500 gb systemmax built to my specs with 2.007 gb ram, 2 ghz of processor speed with duo core.  Built for xp several years ago.  Can't seem to find screenshot again, nor get control c to work in gparted, but.

dev/sda 1      extended     465.06 gib

dev/sda 5      linux swap       4.88 gib

dev/sda 6      ext4    Zorin   21.51 gib          4.47 gib used     16.04 gib unused

unallocated                            1.09 mib

dev/sda 7      ext4    mint     20.51 gib          3.90 gib             16.61 gib 

unallocated                            1.09mib

dev/sda8       ext4    avlinux 20.51 gib          8.82 gib             11.69 gib

dev/sda9       ext4               234.00mib      140.03mib            93.97 mib   (lost and found folder)

dev/sda12     ext4               500.00mib       110.69mib          389.31 mib  (this has a grub 2 folder, an extlinux folder, efi,                                                                                                                              system map, lost and found, etc folders)

dev/sda 13    ext4    peach   19.78 gib          5.97 gib             13.81 gib

unallocated                             7.00 mib

dev/sda 10    ext4                 20.53 gib        502.07mib           20.02 gib        my only open partition now

dev/sda 11    ext4    home  357.63 gib          34.06 gib          323.57 gib

dev/sda 2      ext2    boot    721.00mib         122.01mib         598.99mib    boot (flag)

This is my partition table.  It is an older bios machine.  Legacy I think.  I would appreciate any help.  Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 heyyou325

heyyou325
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2014 - 05:20 PM

I forgot to add, I have a boot repair disk, and a system rescue disk.  Would either help to run?  I've installed so far 4 times, after I reformatted sda13, and always had the same result.  the md5sum checks on the download also.

#3 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 28 September 2014 - 11:48 PM

Knew I knew the userid, you visited NickAu1's Topic on the bug in Bash.

This post is as much about what I can't do for you, as can, but bear with me, the Cavalry will come, soon, I hope. I am repairing a broken install of Trusty Tahr myself, and am making progress, but had a contingency plan in place that saw me have no downtime.

Quick couple of questions which may not aid me, but rather whomever follows:

1. Have you posted screenshots before at this site? and if so, using which tool? which image hosting site?
  2. Do you have the Peach iso still on live USB/CD, are you able to boot from it?

Sorry, just revisited your 2nd post, but the questions still are valid.

1. Are you on a totally Linux environment, or running Windows as well?

Anything else you can provide to help the Cavalry would be appreciated.

Wizard

#4 heyyou325

heyyou325
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:53 AM

I believe I have posted screenshots, but not sure from which operating system.  One of them I need to use a keyboard shortcut, and one I've only found when I was checking something else out, and there it was.  I am getting sort of forgetful.  Peach will be the 20th I've had on since January.  I'm on it on live disk now.   I have noticed when I installed Zorin, mint grub would disappear, and vice versa.  Same with Lubuntu, and I think Pinguy, but not positive on it .  Then I'd use them awhile, and go to something else.  Windows has been clear off this machine since a small install oops back in Jan. or Feb.  Manjaro left a taste in my mouth for that, main complaint about it, my fault tho.  I am still using Peach from a live DVD, that's what I've done all the restalls with.  The DVD's are cheaper than thimbdrives, by a little, plus I don't like a bunch of wasted space left over.  I suppose never making an iso thumb drive, and in the beginning I was told they wouldn't work on this machine, but later found out how to get the option.  I've tried asking here and other forums about somehow adapting the name of the grub, or something so I could have more than one with a ubuntu grub on the desktop.  I seem to prefer Ubuntu based OSes.  So far the main problem I  see with having to reinstall is I loose all the programs I've added.  But I at least get to try the OS at the speed it is on the computer that way. 

Peach is the only one with some of the programs (that come with it) on the computer, so I know sda13 is it.  I keep thinking I should be able to use the partition, after I am in another system, but haven't figured how yet.  I also have that problem with mint (thought I'd deleted it, but O well).  I am uncomfortable using the terminal, or command line yet, but I have for the first fix on the bash bug.  I haven't heard of one that totally fixes that yet.  Used to be I didn't do much on a computer, but after I got into linux, I'm having fun playing when I have the time. 

#5 heyyou325

heyyou325
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2014 - 12:57 PM

I can now boot into Peach, and avlinux, but not Zorin or mint.  Will go back to playing in the grub customizer in a bit and try to wipe out everything.  I changed grubs and put them on the root partition for Peach.  First time showed Peach, Zorin, and Avlinux, but when I rebooted only Avlinux.  Next time I had Zorin and Avlinux.  Now I have Peach and Avlinux.  Mint doesn't show anywhere.  O well, Peach is the one I want to use for awhile anyway, and I know I still have what I had before.  Now if I only knew what I did.  Thanks for the comeback wizard.   

#6 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2014 - 10:18 PM

Now if I only knew what I did.

Sounds like me, sometimes. Now I am recording steps I take to remedy faults either textually and/or via screenshots inserted in a Libre Office Troubleshooting document. Works for me.

Not sure I would call this Topic Solved, but if you have a working environment you have a working environment.

Two more recommendations before I go, on backup and screenshots:

• BACKUP - The most basic backup tool that ships with Ubuntu is "deja dup", the icon looks like a black safe. You can install it from either of Ubuntu Software Centre or Synaptic Package Manager if you have those in your install. Or at Terminal, depends on your preference for GUI solutions or CLI. I used it once two weeks ago, it is a bit clunky but better than nothing. NickAu1, whom you will see around, has a preferred choice of Aptik. You can read about Aptik here and here.

NOTE - The first has a screenshot of Aptik v1.3, the 2nd v1.5. 1.5 looks particularly attractive to me and perhaps you because it includes a feature to back up application settings.

The commands listed in both applications are identical, so you should end up with the very latest version. I will be trying it next day or two.

NOTE - If you are copying and pasting commands to Terminal from either of these articles, just start from "sudo" in each instance, you will likely have the $ sign already at your prompt, duplicating it will result in error.

• SCREENSHOTS -

At the most basic level, you can simply press the PrtScrn button on your keyboard, which will be either near the F (Function) keys 1 - 12 on a 101 keyboard, or else on a laptop may require holding down Fn key near bottom left and then PrtScrn near top right. Using the described you get a choice of either copying to clipboard, or else save, usually defaults to Pictures in Home. CHOOSE SAVE*. Format is typically saved as a .png file.

NOTE - The result is rather unwieldy for a Forum, requiring scrolling in two directions, and the size of the file generated (269 KiB) in this case, likewise. It is the direct result of a small app called "Screenshot" which ships with many Linux distros. In Ubuntu, you can type it into the Dash, launch it, then lock it to your Launcher for further use (icon, camera, below)

pxMIjpQ.png

*The reason I said "CHOOSE SAVE" is this - you may think that Copy to Clipboard is useful, and while in Post or Reply mode here, paste the image. Not so. The Clipboard image is in a format unacceptable to this Forum (maybe .jpeg, don't know), and you will find that when you go to click Post or More Reply Options, or from there, Add Reply or Preview Post, that your image vanishes and you get a warning in red at the top of your page saying it is unacceptable. The .png format IS acceptable. But you cannot eg right click from Pictures and copy or copy to, this Forum. Copy simply produces the below.

/home/chris/Pictures/Screenshot from 2014-09-30 09:52:11.png

So, you ask, "How the flipping heck do I post a screenshot?". The answer is in image hosting websites (free ones). Moderator "Stolen" wrote a good response in this topic, which is where I began hosting images for this Forum a couple of months back. I started with Photobucket, but gave it away as not so user-friendly, and am now using Imgur. The image above I took with Screenshot, uploaded to Imgur, got its Direct Link copied, then return to BC and use the Image icon on the header of Reply mode, it's 11th from the left, or 9th from the right. See below

CT78rv5.png

A much more versatile screen capture tool is Shutter, available once again from the Software Centre and Synaptic.

Finally, as I understand it, if you are only running one Distro on your computer, there is no Grub menu displayed. Two or more you get the menu.

Hope this has been of some assistance.

Wizard

#7 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2014 - 03:28 AM

Latest news in - I installed successfully Aptik from the instructions referred to, it installed as v1.6.1, I ran it, and it seems OK.

Cheers

Wizard

#8 heyyou325

heyyou325
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2014 - 08:34 AM

Peach came with I guess deja dup, the black safe anyway installed.  There is also a screenshot program on the menu, and a grub customizer which is where I changed them a few times.  After the last time, now I can't get my password to work to change anything again.  I've got directions somewhere to change that.  Don't ever get old and forgetful.  One reason I'm trying to learn linux is to excersize my brain.  First I have to find it.  I'm working with this old 32 bit desktop, and a 64 bit windows 8 laptop, and as always mixing everything up.  They've been a big help here, and I continue to rely on them.  I tried the print screen, and got nothing for a screen shot.  If I were to find it on Zorin, it would only move again before I could find it again.  Plus I'm trying to get a feel for Peach now.  Then I have a few more to check out.  I like Lxle on live disk also, and I need to get open suse installed on my laptop, the first install maybe a month ago has some problems and I have a new download burnt to dvd and the md5sum checked.  If I stuck with one for over a month I might learn how to use it.  But I am enjoying trying different OS es to see which I like best.  As for running only 1 on the computer, I can 3 up on the desktop by changing the grub to burg, and it shows I have 4 on it.  I have 5 partitions for them.  And 4 partitions + windows on the laptop.  I find there seems to be more difference between desktop environments then operating systems.  I tried changing mint quiana over to xf..  or lx. desktops.  and in either case ended up reinstalling mint.  I'm still in the experimenting (learning stage).  If only rburkartjo wouldn't give me quite so many ideas in his cheesemaker thread.  I really enjoy reading about what's new, but I need to learn I can't try everything.

•  

#9 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2014 - 11:41 PM

Don't ever get old and forgetful.

The boy from 1957 turned 57 last Saturday, we are contemporary

They've been a big help here, and I continue to rely on them.

As do I, and yes they are!

I tried the print screen, and got nothing for a screen shot.

Try Shutter?

If I stuck with one for over a month I might learn how to use it

I've been working exclusively on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS "trusty Tahr" for around 7 weeks now, after blowing away Windows 7. It (Ubuntu) will remain, but I am going to try Linux Mint or Zorin soon, maybe both. Bear in mind that  openSUSE is an rpm-based distro (started with Redhat, includes Fedora and Mandriva), rather than Debian. That might entail a further curve or two in the learning curve, not the least in the way they treat su and sudo. But if you are up to it, go ahead.

If only rburkartjo wouldn't give me quite so many ideas in his cheesemaker thread.

He's a bugger that way, isn't he? I haven't read (yet) more than a fraction of his posts.

Later

Wizard

#10 heyyou325

heyyou325
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 11:13 AM

The boy from 1957 turned 57 last Saturday, we are contemporary

Guess I'll have to start calling you kid.  Enjoy life while you're still a kid.  Actually I'm not much more myself, 62.

I've been working exclusively on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS "trusty Tahr" for around 7 weeks now, after blowing away Windows 7. It (Ubuntu) will remain, but I am going to try Linux Mint or Zorin soon, maybe both. Bear in mind that  openSUSE is an rpm-based distro (started with Redhat, includes Fedora and Mandriva), rather than Debian. That might entail a further curve or two in the learning curve, not the least in the way they treat su and sudo. But if you are up to it, go ahead.

Zorin light works very fast, as does peach.  I've found a few things I like that they don't do, or maybe I just haven't figured out yet.  Altho Peach has been changing a little, don't quite want to say unstable.  Sometimes it will take my password, and sometimes it won't.  Changes I make work for awhile and quit.  I've got a message into their tech people.  I might reinstall, now that I have it booting.  Mint is a good OS, but sort of slow and  blah (still better than windows) does most everything I want tho.  Might be a bit more responsive if I could get the Xfce desktop to work on it instead of cinnamon, or mate.  Seems like most of the systems I like are based on ubuntu, buet I've never actually tried regular ubuntu.

And if I didn't have anything else to do, the cheesemaker thread would be great.  It is anyway, but I can't read or try everything I want to there. 

All in all this sites been great, and especially the regulars.  Rburkartjo helped me a bunch getting started last dec and jan.  Bet the others are sorry.  And Jonuk, Nick, Cat, and a bunch of others have really helped too.

#11 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 04:29 PM

I AM like a kid - a kid in a candy store goggling at the plethora of Linux Distros out there.

Nick, Cat, Al1000 have all been very kind and helpful to me, and half a dozen others pop in to my posts with input from time to time. Very good community!

If you spend more than 6 to 8 weeks on a Distro (hint, hint, lol) you might want to swing by here and have some input, and take the survey on page 1. Topic's been going for years.

Wizard

#12 heyyou325

heyyou325
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 04:57 PM

I've taken that survey, mint was the only thing on it I like.  Fedora was second, and I never did get comfortable with it even after 6 weeks.

#13 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2014 - 12:24 AM

(still better than windows)

... aren't most alternatives? :hysterical:

BTW on the "black safe" - I tried restoring some stuff today and it turned to crap. I will stick with Aptik, for now.

I have questions on Fedora, but I am going to move with them over to here, to leave your topic on-topic, should more members have input on the grub issue. Also, over there, the questions I have, and your input, will be on-topic. Hope to see you there

Wizard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users