Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remove fufaxstm.exe from startup?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 28 September 2014 - 09:04 AM

I found this article that recommends that fufaxstm.exe be removed from StartUp:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/fufaxstm.exe-25455.html

But it doesn't say how to do that. I found this page that says to use MSConfig:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows/quickly-remove-items-from-windows-xp-startup/

Is this the best way?

I understand that this program is part of the Epson fax handling. I do have an Epson multifunction device, but I never use the fax feature. I do, however, use the scan feature. If I disable this program, will scanning be affected?

If I find that I need to reenable this program in the future, can I just go back to MSConfig and recheck it? I assume it will still be listed, but unchecked.

Thanks

Running Win 10 & Office 365.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 28 September 2014 - 09:39 AM

You can uncheck it in Msconfig and recheck it again if you need to but I would just let it go. You will not notice any speed difference by keeping it from starting. You may get a dialog box at startup saying something about Msconfig. To permanently keep it from starting  you would need to edit the registry.

Edit: The above file may be in your startup folder also. Start > All Programs > Startup

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 September 2014 - 09:43 AM.

#3 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2014 - 10:02 AM

You can uncheck it in Msconfig and recheck it again if you need to but I would just let it go. You will not notice any speed difference by keeping it from starting. You may get a dialog box at startup saying something about Msconfig. To permanently keep it from starting  you would need to edit the registry.

Edit: The above file may be in your startup folder also. Start > All Programs > Startup

I wondered if it would make any difference in performance. Whenever I check the Task Manager, it always shows 0% CPU for that program.

I did read that it takes up some resources on startup and disabling it would make the computer reboot more quickly. It takes forever.

I also sometimes get error messages when I shut the machine down saying that that program is not responding and cannot be ended. Disabling it would clear that up, too.

Maybe I should post the list of programs that in the StartUp list to see if there is anything else there that should be disabled.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,698 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2014 - 10:07 AM

You can list the startup programs. I would think one file would not cause the computer taking forever to reboot. Does it initially boot okay? Try disabling the program in Msconfig and see if you reboot issue is resolved.

#5 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2014 - 10:23 AM

The computer's performance, both reboot time and general performance, has gradually degraded over the 6 years I've had it. It's a laptop (Dell Inspiron 9400). I also have a Dell workstation (Optiplex 740). It has the same problem. Both have the maximum memory allowed and the fastest hard drives they support.

I didn't think this one program would make that much difference, but it might be a start. What I really need to do is buy new hardware and upgrade to the latest OS. But I can't do that until I find a replacement for a critical program that has 20 years of data that must be migrated.

I've uploaded the StartUp list in MSConfig. I checked Task Manager. Most of them do not appear in the Processes list and none of them have more than 0% CPU usage. I don't think the performance problem is CPU usage. It's usually at least 80% System Idle and the next biggest user is the CarboniteServices.exe at 10-15%. Everything else is 2% or less.

PS: I checked the StartUp folder. There are only 2 entries: desktop.ini and Windows Search (a shortcut).

Attached Files

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,698 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2014 - 10:51 AM

XP will degrade over time and a reinstall is needed. Do you still have access to the Program installer of the critical program? If you back up your data you may be able to do a factory reset but that may be too extreme for you. I did notice a startup called P00000000... but I am not sure what that is. I don't think you need itunes or bing desktop at startup. Click the services tab and check hide Microsoft Services. Are there a lot of services running?

Because XP no longer is supported you should turn off check for Updates. Right click computer > Properties > Advanced and under Performance select settings. Select Adjust for Best Performance.

I would also clean out your temp folder by selecting Run from the start menu and typing %temp%. You can delete all the files and folders in this temp directory. Do this for each account on the computer. I would use CCleaner to delete your other temp files and internet cache.

#7 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2014 - 12:05 AM

I'm going to replace these machines as soon as I can, so an reinstall would be way too much trouble and risky.

I did uncheck fufaxstm.exe in the MSConfig Startup tab. When I rebooted, I got a message saying that the "System Configuration Utility is currently in Diagnostic or Selective Startup mode". It said to go to thje MSConfig General tab and select "Normal Startup". (See file 01 in the Dropbox folder below.) I tried to attach them, but they are a little larger than 13KB. (Are there any files that small anymore?)

I started MSConfig and went to the General tab. Sure enough, the Selective Startup option was checked. (See file 02.) I didn't check that option on purpose. Is it checked every time a setting is changed? I assume I just set it back to Normal Startup", right?

I then selected the Services tab as suggested and check the Hide All Microsoft Services box. The list is in file 03.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/70dtx3ust0az727/AADjyYNv-h5Dw1-KKAa0Tkzoa?dl=0

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,698 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:46 AM

Yes, when you check something in MSconfig the Dialog message about Diagnostic or Selective Startup will appear. In your services the only thing I would uncheck would be Bing and Bing Bar but I believe the only way you will get the computer running normally again is to do a reinstall. Did you have many temp files to delete? Have you ever done a defragmentation on the drive?

#9 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2014 - 08:53 AM

Yes, when you check something in MSconfig the Dialog message about Diagnostic or Selective Startup will appear. In your services the only thing I would uncheck would be Bing and Bing Bar but I believe the only way you will get the computer running normally again is to do a reinstall. Did you have many temp files to delete? Have you ever done a defragmentation on the drive?

I delete the temp filed periodically. There were about 200 this time.

I also do a defrag periodically. Most of the time, it says it is not needed.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,698 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2014 - 09:00 AM

Sorry, then I am out of ideas on how to speed the computer up. When you get a new computer, you can transfer the critical program and the associated data?

#11 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2014 - 10:22 AM

Yep, the only fix is new machines. Thanks.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,698 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2014 - 10:50 AM

After you get the new comptuers and transfer you critical programs with data, because XP is no longer supported with security updates, I would look at installing a linux distro on them. Something like Ubuntu or Mint should run very well on these old computers.

Mint 17 Review

Ubuntu 14.04 review

#13 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2014 - 11:12 AM

After you get the new comptuers and transfer you critical programs with data, because XP is no longer supported with security updates, I would look at installing a linux distro on them. Something like Ubuntu or Mint should run very well on these old computers.

Mint 17 Review

Ubuntu 14.04 review

Why would I do that? I doubt I'll ever be a Linux user. Everything I have is Windows based and has been for many years. The last thing I need right now is to learn a new OS.

I'll probably just keep the old machines around for a year or so in case something I need didn't make it over to the new machines, then recycle them.

I just ran defrag analyze. It said, as it usually does, that a defrag is not needed. I've attached the report. Fortunately, it was just under the very generous BP limit of 13KB.

This is usually what I get. However, I recently installed the Carbonite Mirror Image Backup feature. I see in the report that there is one 447 MB file that has 79,221 fragments. The mirror image backups take 8-10 hours to complete. I doubt that this one file could be causing general performance problems, but it might have something to do with why the backups take so long. Although, they were pretty slow right from the start.

Attached Files

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,698 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2014 - 11:21 AM

I agree that the file may be the reason for a long backup but I doubt this one file is the reason for the slow computer. I didn't know you would be recycling the old computers. I have XP and created a dual boot system with Ubuntu and really like it but my needs are not that great. Some email and a few documents, also internet. But what programs I do use, I found an equivalent for in Ubuntu.

#15 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2014 - 11:28 AM

I would donate them to a local school or something, but they don't want them. They have better hardware, which I find encouraging. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users