Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange problem in IE and Firefox (can't update ff, can't start some downloads)

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 sargeras

sargeras

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 28 September 2014 - 08:51 AM

Hello to everybody reading this!

I am a new member and I've just registered due to my issues which seems to be extremely persistent and hard to fix. Where should I even start...

OK, let's put it like this. Recently, maybe a week ago, I clicked on some shady link which I already knew in advance I shouldn't be clicking on but I did it anyway (don't ask me why, even I don't know the answer). What happened was, some browser hijacker was installed on my pc. I'll post you the link to this specific hijacker:

Hijacker.

Of course I followed all the steps in that link, even before that I launched a full system scan with my AVG antivirus free and all those scans eventually have found some malicious software on my pc and reportedly deleted it. But let's not forget that I haven't had much malicious behaviour on my pc in the first place. Right away, it seemed that I have had removed everything very quickly. I immediately changed my homepage back to google, I've ran all those scans and my pc was working just fine and still is. But now we can procced to the issue which seems rather strange to me.

Since that happening, I can't update my firefox anymore. What happens is, autoupdate runs and detects ff update, but is unable to install it after firefox reboot and just displays an error that I can only update ff manually. But even when I try to do this and I download a ff installer, when I doubleclick on it, the window just flashes for a brief second and dissapers right after. For test purposes, I tried to update my ff in safe mode and guess what, it updated just fine without a single problem. But again as soon as I rebooted the pc and tried clicking on that installer again, same thing happened.

I also have problems in IE, for example, when I try to download a program like malwarebytes, I get the error looking something like this:

d4K8k.png.

This is the image which I believe is the closest to my actuall error, I'm not a native english speaker and I use my windows in Slovenian, so I couldn't post my actuall screenshot. All those simptoms led me to believe that the issue should be virus or malware connected and not something else is the issue. I also tried downloading malwarebytes and some other programs in IE in safe mode, and again, it worked just fine without any errors.

As I've stated before, I've already scanned my system with several antivirus and malware tools, including bitdefender, avg free, malwarebytes, adwcleaner, JRT, hitman pro, superantispyware and many others. All those tools generally find nothing or in best case maybe a couple of tracking cookies. I've also deleted FF many times and tried restoring all settings in FF and IE alike. Nothing helps, the issue remains.

And now, let's procced to the very interesting behaviour which I found about yesterday. I've already said that I don't have of those problems when running pc in safe mode. But another interesting thing happens right after I scan a PC with JRT (Junkware removal tool). What this tool does basically it closes almost everything (all the icons dissapear in my system tray), and after that - behold - I can run ff installer, update ff, plus download and install any program from IE without any problems, so the issue seems solved after JRT scan is finished. I don't know what JRT does to achieve that, but it doesn't give me any report of what was done by it, like all other programs it just show that everything is fine and nothing was detected. However, as soon as I reboot my PC, all the problems reoccur again.

Since JRT seem to close all my tray icons, I concluded that there could be a problem in some drivers or whatnot, some running service could be the cause of my problems instead of a virus, so I tried closing every service and program manually (graphic drivers, audio drivers, antivirus, etc.). But unfortunatelly this haven't fixed anything. So I'm still baffled with what does JRT achieve after the scan. It obviously doesn't fix the problem, it just terminates it until next reboot. But that isn't ideal neither due to the fact all my system tray icons are gone and obviously this isn't something that I want at all.

Yesterday I even tried running an avira pre-boot rescue CD scan, but you already guessed it - with no success.

Help me please, I'm starting to feel pretty desperate about fixing this anytime soon.

Edited by sargeras, 28 September 2014 - 08:55 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users