Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem With Shortcut - Files Won't Open

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Bastille Day

Bastille Day

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 28 September 2014 - 08:09 AM

My computer recently had all it's desktop files corrupted but I did find a folder titled "My Recent Documents" with most the files I need in it. When I try to open the files to see if they were corrupted as well, I get this:

"The drive or network connection that the shortcut refers to is unavailable. Make sure that the disk is properly inserted or the network resource is available, then try again."

Thanks in advance if anyone can me help open these files.

Windows XP service pack 3 operating system.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,678 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 28 September 2014 - 08:21 AM

Hello, Those are not the files themselves, My Recent Documents only holds shortcuts to the files and when you double click the shortcut, Windows cannot open the file itself because it cannot find the file. Right click the icon and select Properties. It should provide a path to the actual program.

#3 Bastille Day

Bastille Day
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2014 - 08:44 AM

Hello, Those are not the files themselves, My Recent Documents only holds shortcuts to the files and when you double click the shortcut, Windows cannot open the file itself because it cannot find the file. Right click the icon and select Properties. It should provide a path to the actual program.

Thanks for that, I have limited options clicking properties.

Start In:

Shortcut key:

Run: Comment:

Find Target - Change Icon - Advanced Properties

Choices in the Advanced Properties - Run With Different Credentials is inactive.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,678 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2014 - 08:50 AM

The "Start in box" should be filled with a path. Also the "Target" box should show a path. Are they empty?

#5 Bastille Day

Bastille Day
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2014 - 09:17 AM

The "Start in box" should be filled with a path. Also the "Target" box should show a path. Are they empty?

one text file example:

Target box: "C:\Documents and Settings\Tim\Desktop\VCC-BB\BB-prices\33G110-240 2010.txt"

Start in box: "C:\Documents and Settings\New user\Desktop\VCC-BB\BB-prices"

Two Icons at the top: General and Shortcut

After clicking on properties it's an automatic default to "Shortcut".

Nothing happens when I click the "General" box.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,678 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2014 - 09:23 AM

The VCC-BB folder should be on the desktop. If as you say it it no longer there or has been corrupted double clicking on the icon in Recent Documents will not work. You can try pressing the Find Target button but I doubt that will work unless for some reason the VCC-BB folder was moved.

One option that may work is to do a System Restore to a date before the corruption occured. Any files or folders you added to the desktop after the Restore Date should be moved to My Documents. Any program installed after the System Restore date will need to be installed and you would need to update your Antivirus definitions again.

#7 Bastille Day

Bastille Day
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2014 - 09:34 AM

Thanks for that information.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,678 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2014 - 09:40 AM

Hopefully Restore Point is enabled and you have an available date before the corruption.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users