Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bios not recognising data hard drive and not booting from SSD

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 indig0

indig0

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 28 September 2014 - 07:05 AM

Hi there,

I have recently had to buy a new SSD a lovely 120GB Intel Cherryville after my old SSD decided to die on me. I had an existing data drive with my files, artwork on. 

The problem is when I boot up it tries to load normally (a few cursors blinks on a black screen) and then dumps me onto the bios. I have specified in the bios that I want it to boot windows from my new intel drive, but the problem persists. I believe the problem started from the changing of the boot drive. The bios also shows the data drive in a list of plugged in devices but does not show it in the boot 'order' options in EZ mode.

The strange thing is the only way I can get Windows to boot properly is to choose my data drive as the boot device in the temporary boot choice menu. Windows is 100% on my Intel SSD though...?

Another strange item in the EZ mode boot order menu is the inclusion of the DVD drive which was certainly not there before.

I should mention that I did try try and fix my old corrupt SSD in the registry and this could be contributing to the odd behaviour of my data drive and bios settings.

-I have an ASUS z87k Motherboard.

-Windows 7 home 64bit.

So if you could specifically advise me on how to remedy this boot problem, I would be very grateful. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 28 September 2014 - 08:32 AM

It appears that you left the data drive connected when you installed Windows onto the SSD, and the MBR got written to the DATA drive.

There is no way around it but to redo the system, IMO.

There's a possibility that you could do something about it in a command prompt, like "rebuildmbr" after selecting the correct disk, the SSD, but I've never managed to do it.

All is well in Paradise.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 28 September 2014 - 08:53 AM

EasyBCD, Free Version allows you to put the boot files wherever...or edit such for content.

If you go that route, please read the instructions before doing anything.

Louis

#4 indig0

indig0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2014 - 09:39 AM

It appears that you left the data drive connected when you installed Windows onto the SSD, and the MBR got written to the DATA drive.

There is no way around it but to redo the system, IMO.

There's a possibility that you could do something about it in a command prompt, like "rebuildmbr" after selecting the correct disk, the SSD, but I've never managed to do it.

So there are two routes:

Thanks for the reply. When you say redo the system, can I just reinstall windows on the SSD after I disconnect the Data drive? Or have I just messed the whole thing up? Will the MBR still be on the Data drive if a full system install takes place?

EasyBCD, Free Version allows you to put the boot files wherever...or edit such for content.

If you go that route, please read the instructions before doing anything.

Louis

Just downloaded this program. What are the chances of actually correcting the problem using this? I am unfamiliar with the problem let alone using a program that may damage my system even more.

Thanks.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2014 - 09:48 AM

I'm not a gambler, so I can't quote "odds" of any sort for any software product.

The idea that BCDEasy...will damage your system...where did that come from?

Seems to me that you already have problems...and I've never heard any account of a software tool "damaging" a system...the file structure can be damaged but...a file structure can become damaged any day, any time, for various reasons.  That possible fear is nullifed by the backups you've already made...right?

Bottom line, you should never try a program that you don't understand somewhat...or trust to be helpful/useful.

Louis

#6 indig0

indig0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2014 - 10:35 AM

I would like to thank you for the suggestion Hamluis. I was very apprehensive in making the situation worse as I have made a mistake in the past week (that involved an infinite repair loop- the stuff of nightmares!) and was wary of making any changes to the BCD. I am happy to tell you that with a few clicks, and a reboot the problem is solved.

By going into BCDEasy 2.2 and reading up on it's uses I changed the BCD to the correct drive. Thank you very much for your assistance.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2014 - 11:50 AM

:thumbup2: , that was one of my small quota (10% useful, 90% not useful) of suggestions.

Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users