Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best Mini PC for my needs

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jesse_h97

jesse_h97

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 28 September 2014 - 06:39 AM

I have a large 1080p Smart Tv on the wall and want to hide a Wifi mini pc with windows on the back for media, surfing, uploading pictures from Canon Rebel camera. I'll use a wireless mouse and keyboard.  I'm looking for suggestions my budget is around 200.00. I was looking on Newegg but it looks like most don't have an OS. 

Do I need windows?  

Is the picture going to be clearer with HDMI vs VGA and DVI? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 676 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2014 - 11:12 AM

1) For a mere $200, I seriously doubt you're going to be able to get a new computer that will do what you need, and it comes with Windows installed. Windows itself is usually right around $100.

2) You don't have to use Windows, but if you don't know how to use anything else, you'll have a steep learning curve. You'll also need the drivers for all of the periphials you intend on using with the computer. Since Windows is so popular, drivers are usually readily available. If you were to run say Zorin-OS instead of Windows, you will probably run into some dead ends somewhere down the line.

3) HDMI vs. DisplayPort vs. DVI vs. VGA: Which connection to choose?

#3 jesse_h97

jesse_h97
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2014 - 11:25 AM

Awesome that's what I was afraid of.  I really need this pc to have drivers and play nice with whatever I slap in the usb drive.  I was also going with a wireless printer so I think I need to just pony up the ends and get something with windows installed.  If I buy windows separately with a barebones, how big a pain is it going to be to install?  Thanx for the response btw!!

#4 ukbb

ukbb

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2014 - 07:50 PM

I'm looking at the Zotac ZBOX PI320 pico:

http://liliputing.com/2014/10/first-look-zotacs-palm-sided-windows-pc-coming-october-200.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Basically a mini desktop with HDMI out for hooking to monitor or TV and comes with windows 8.1 with bing loaded on it. In the video Brad Linder shows it running XBMC with no problems. Price is $200.

Edited by ukbb, 16 October 2014 - 07:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users