Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about Device Manager errors

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rickb2385

rickb2385

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 28 September 2014 - 05:44 AM

Hi everyone,
Ive just done a clean installation of Windows 8. I Checked device manager straight away. There was a listing under Other Devices with an exclamation mark listed only as "Media". Ive never seen that before so I havent a clue what it referred to. When I clicked on its properties it said Internal High Definition Audi Bus. Was this a serious issue..maybe a corrupted installation?
I wasnt sure what to do but because I had installed from Windows CD and not factory image I had to go to the Dell site and then install the Intel Chipset software. I then rebooted. The Media icon and exclamation error then disappeared from Device Manager.
Was it the Reboot of my PC that got rid of it or was it the Intel Chipset software being installed that sorted it out?
Also what is "Media" referring to or is it just a generic term?
Also, Im always confused as to what is the difference between an exclamation mark and the blue question mark on a white background in Device Manager which Ive seen before too?
Thanks, in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 28 September 2014 - 05:55 AM

It was the chipset driver. If you've installed all appropriate drivers you should be good to go now.

#3 rickb2385

rickb2385
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 28 September 2014 - 06:05 AM

Thanks for the reply Allan. Is it fairly common for there to be Device manager errors? I don't normally see any apart from a bluetooth Peripheral device question mark which is always there and sorted out by installing the wireless drivers from dell site.

Have you any idea what the Media listing was in device Manager..I could only think of maybe Windows Media Player.. maybe?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users