Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing drivers in the correct order after clean Install

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rickb2385

rickb2385

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 28 September 2014 - 05:36 AM

I looked through installation guides for the recommended installation order for drivers after a clean Windows 8 installation from Windows 8 disc. I also spoke to Tech Support but keep getting conflicting advice so I thought I would try posting here.
The question I have is regarding the Intel Chipset drivers. I know that they must be installed first before any other drivers. The confusion I have is regarding the Intel AMT HECI drivers (Intel Management Engine Interface) which are also listed as Chipset drivers.
Previous Support Technicians have always said that the Intel AMT HECI drivers installation order is not important so can be installed anytime. They always say Intel Chipset software must be done first though.
On Dells site there is a driver order installation guide which shows HECI drivers way down on the installation order too.
The other day I was speaking to a guy over the phone on tech support who told me that you should install the Intel Chipset software, then the HECI drivers next!!
The reason I ask is I did a clean Windows 8 installation only last week. I installed the Intel Chipset software first and I have installed other drivers including Graphics and Wireless Network drivers. My HECI drivers were installed later. Will this cause me problems or will it be OK?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks very much in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 28 September 2014 - 06:47 AM

There is no order for installing drivers, unless specified, for instance, when you're downloading a driver, you might find a notification that says, "pls install driver xxxxxx before this one".

The reason that it is common to install the main chipset first, is so as to get proper access to peripherals like USB ports, wifi cards, etc, but it truly makes no difference which order you do them.

All is well in Paradise.

#3 rickb2385

rickb2385
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2014 - 07:04 AM

Has that just changed with the Windows 8 operating system..I thought drivers had a specific installation order? At least that's what some but not all of the Dell techicians seem to say...hence my confusion!! lol  I was worried in case installing Intel Management Engine Interface (AMT HECI) after some of my other drivers and not immediately after the Intel Chipset software  might cause me future problems.

I also noticed that after Windows 8 installation...Device Manager lists Intel Management Engine Interface  under System Devices...so are the Intel AMT HECI drivers already installed by Windows 8 anyway?

#4 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2014 - 07:07 AM

Microsoft Windows and all other operating systems will not require you install drivers in order. As long as you're installing the correct drivers for your computer you should have no issues installing the drivers in any order.

For the most part, it's an ole' wive's tale.

There have been rare cases where a certain driver must be installed before another and if that is the case, you'd get a notification to that effect, when downloading it from the manufacturer's website.

Dell still preaches about the driver order of installation, but it's a myth.

Edited by rockysosua, 28 September 2014 - 07:12 AM.

All is well in Paradise.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,031 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 28 September 2014 - 01:04 PM

Some motherboard manufacturers, like Intel, insist that the chipset driver be installed first.  That's about it now days.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2014 - 03:03 PM

So there you have it.

Other than the common sense of installing the chipset first, so as to have access to all peripherals, or some rare exceptions that will come with notifications, the order of driver installation makes no difference at all, so no worries.

All is well in Paradise.

#7 rickb2385

rickb2385
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2014 - 01:27 AM

Thanks guys!! Can I trouble you for your feedback on something else. Every few months I clean install the Windows operating system on my PC. Is it the same for you in that sometimes the Windows 8 setup picks up all of the devices (it usually only misses one..a Bluetooth peripheral device with a question mark. That's easily sorted by installing Wireless drivers from Dell site). Then on other occasions it'll leave the occasional exclamation mark usually listed in Other Devices but not always. That disappears when the chipsets are installed. Most of the time I never get these at all but its happened a couple of times lately. Im wondering if its caused because Im installing from Windows 8 DVD and not from a factory image.

I guess really what Im asking is..Is the Windows Installation sometimes a bit hit and miss at picking up everything in Device Manager during initial setup?

PS Im new on here so I hope its OK to throw this out to the rest of the guys on here too for feedback

Thanks

Edited by rickb2385, 29 September 2014 - 02:27 AM.

#8 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:11 AM

A factory image will have ALL the drivers and utilities.

A standard Win 8 DVD will install the vast majority of the drivers.

8.1 will recognize even more drivers, as MSC strives to get Windows to recognize all drivers.

As for redoing your system a few times per year, I do that too, but I use an image, not the OEM factory restore, otherwise it would take me hours to set it all up again the way I like it.

Are you familiar with the built in Windows System Iamage feature?

All is well in Paradise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users