Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Domain Change

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jpc43

jpc43

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 09 June 2006 - 08:09 PM

I have a laptop home here for the weekend from my work. I'm just using it for entertainment mostly.
My problem is that at work we are not allowed using msn messenger, but i figured once i was on my network at home i'd have no problem downloading and using it.
However this was not the case. It would not allow me to use the program once installed still. I decided I could change this by going into my computer properties and changing the domain name from my companies name to another name, foolish, yes.
So I applied the changes by restarting the computer and now when i try to logon with my username and password it says the password or domain are wrong and that it cannot log me on.
I've tried guessing some standard logons it might revert to to no avail, any help would be greatly appreciated. don't want to get in trouble at work!
thanks
AMD athlon 64 3000+,Nvidia Geforce 6200,2x120G HDD,WIN media center '05

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 11 June 2006 - 01:25 AM

Leave it where a fellow employee will find, and report it as stolen. :thumbsup:

I would love to be a fly on the wall when you have to explain how this happened. :huh:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2006 - 08:15 AM

I am afraid that your IT department will not be very happy when you return the computer to them to be fixed. By bypassing whatever security they had in place to prevent unauthorised changes to the hard drive's content, and then making additional changes that invalidated the logon name and password, you have, I think, put any kind of "fix" beyond the ability of anyone but them.
Sorry,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 jpc43

jpc43
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2006 - 02:44 PM

shoot...that's bad news...guess i just didnt realize it would affect the users listed on the computer
AMD athlon 64 3000+,Nvidia Geforce 6200,2x120G HDD,WIN media center '05

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users