Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File sharing for small businesses

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kalendral

kalendral

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2014 - 01:21 AM

Hi,
I'm hoping someone out there can answer a couple questions about using file sharing/cloud storage for a small business. I'm setting up a business working from home outsourcing data entry/administration/customer service for other companies & will need to share fairly large files with clients. I've used file sharing (e.g. Google & drop box) for my (minimal) personal file sharing but now I'm looking at options for file sharing as a business. I will be sharing large files with external organisations so will be paying for one of the extra storage services, probably Google drive or Dropbox, but I have a couple of questions about accessing files & giving access to customers:
A) Would my clients be able to actually download the files I share with them for use on their own servers, or would they only be able to access them through the specific Google drive/Dropbox?
B) Would my clients need to have accounts with the file sharer (Google/Dropbox) before they're able to access files?
c) I've been looking at the costs associated with using file sharing for business, e.g. extra storage, & I'm a bit confused about some of the information available. I've looked at some of the specifications & comparison sites & some of them seem to say that when you're using a paid-for service or using it for commercial purposes you have to pay for each user - but they don't clarify what constitutes a 'user'. For instance, if I'm sharing files with external companies, rather than colleagues within my company, would the companies be classed as 'users' & if they had their own Google or Dropbox account would I still need to pay for them to access shared files.
D) Can anyone suggest any specific file sharing programmes that would be suitable for small businesses sharing large files, but relatively inexpensive?
Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,164 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 28 September 2014 - 08:29 PM

In both cases, you can share documents with others. This usually entails flagging the document as public, or moving it to a public folder, and then sending an email to the other person with a link to that document. They don't need a Google or Dropbox account to access and open the document, and (depending on what kind of document it is) they are usually able to download it as well.

One of the advantages to storing documents in the cloud is that people can work on them simultaneously, or can make changes to the document in the cloud and save them, thus sparing everyone the round robin emails with updated versions of said document attached. Just something to consider.

#3 Ivy74

Ivy74

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 29 September 2014 - 12:30 PM

Hi,
I'm hoping someone out there can answer a couple questions about using file sharing/cloud storage for a small business. I'm setting up a business working from home outsourcing data entry/administration/customer service for other companies & will need to share fairly large files with clients. I've used file sharing (e.g. Google & drop box) for my (minimal) personal file sharing but now I'm looking at options for file sharing as a business. I will be sharing large files with external organisations so will be paying for one of the extra storage services, probably Google drive or Dropbox, but I have a couple of questions about accessing files & giving access to customers:
A) Would my clients be able to actually download the files I share with them for use on their own servers, or would they only be able to access them through the specific Google drive/Dropbox?
B) Would my clients need to have accounts with the file sharer (Google/Dropbox) before they're able to access files?
c) I've been looking at the costs associated with using file sharing for business, e.g. extra storage, & I'm a bit confused about some of the information available. I've looked at some of the specifications & comparison sites & some of them seem to say that when you're using a paid-for service or using it for commercial purposes you have to pay for each user - but they don't clarify what constitutes a 'user'. For instance, if I'm sharing files with external companies, rather than colleagues within my company, would the companies be classed as 'users' & if they had their own Google or Dropbox account would I still need to pay for them to access shared files.
D) Can anyone suggest any specific file sharing programmes that would be suitable for small businesses sharing large files, but relatively inexpensive?
Thanks.

Dropbox's use of the "public" folder I found very useful when sharing specific files to clients. However, DropBox isn't secure; not sure if any of them really are. However, the one I am going to reference must have some security for they are even HIPAA compliant.

http://anchorworks.com/

Check it out. It will cost you but in the end the good stuff costs money, the okay stuff doesn't. 

***Note***

My job has blocked Europe by the firewall which means I can't access this site from the office anymore. So I will barely be here if at all. In case you cared.  :smash:

#4 davidwalker1

davidwalker1

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 21 July 2015 - 08:58 AM

I've worked consistently with icsbusinessbox software http://www.icsbusinessbox.net/ and found it to be a really good cloud solution for wide business efficiencies that save time and money. It's especially good for HR applications - there's some good blogs here that give you an idea of the benefits: http://www.icsbusinessbox.net/blog/
Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users