Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

is it SSD or HDD

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Chuck racer_*

Guest_Chuck racer_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 September 2014 - 05:50 PM

My computer skills are just average. About 5 or 6 months I bought this new laptop at WalMart.

Acer Aspire S3-391 Windows 8  64 bit. The box that it came in says HDD, the program I downloaded called Defraggler by Piriform says media type HDD. I downloaded Speccy also by Piriform the information it gives says Sata SSD, iam aware not to defrag an SSD but I know defrag an HDD. Is there anyway to find out. Tearing it down to look isn't going to happen. Thanks, Chuck

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,260 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2014 - 06:22 PM

Size in GBs would be a clue....

If this is the computer....Acer Intel Core i3 Ultrabook S3-391-6046 PC with i3-2367M Processor - Walmart.com

Hard Drive Size: 20 GB is given in the specs

But then there is this....

• Intel Core i3-2367M processor 1.4GHz, 3MB L3 Cache
  • 4GB DDR3 SDRAM system memory. The silver Acer 13.3" Ultrabook you the power to handle most power-hungry applications and tons of multimedia work
  • 320GB SATA hard drive 20GB SSD. Store 226,666 photos, 97,143 songs or 178 hours of HD video and more

Maybe it's some kind of hybrid.

EDIT: From the web....

How to defrag Windows 8

If it has a hard drive your Windows 8 PC, laptop or tablet will defrag itself by default every week, thanks to the scheduled task: Optimize Drives. So if you haven't changed any settings, you shouldn't need to defrag. But if you aren't sure and you want to check the status of- or manually defrag your drive open Search (Windows+Q or swipe in from the right and open the Search Charm). Now type in 'Defragment'. One of the results will be 'Defragment and optimize your drives'. Select this.

You'll see a dialog  featuring a list of the hard drives in your PC or laptop, their media type, when they were last defragged, and how fragmented they are. You really need to defrag only if the drive is more than  10 percent fragmented. (On my severa-years-old work desktop, the two drives were both at 0 percent due to the regular background defragging.)

If you can't see a figure in Current status, to find out if a particular drive needs to be optimized highlight it and hit Analyze. Then confirm your choice. This will update the Current status column.

If any of your drives is fragmented by 10 percent or more, highlight it and hit Optimize. Confirm your choice. Again this could take minutes or hours, and you can continue to use your PC throughout.

Edited by buddy215, 27 September 2014 - 06:31 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Guest_Chuck racer_*

Guest_Chuck racer_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 September 2014 - 06:40 PM

I went to ( device manager ) it says Sata SSD so I went in task scheduler and disabled defrag. Thanks, Chuck

Edited by hamluis, 28 September 2014 - 02:33 PM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 05 October 2014 - 01:04 PM

Edited by buddy215, 05 October 2014 - 01:33 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users