Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sleeps but won't hibernate

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tomterific

Tomterific

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 27 September 2014 - 03:41 PM

Hiberfil.sys is 2.554 GB large, Pagefile.sys is 3.405 large, but hibernate is not listed as a choice anywhere. Search of the OS doesn't provide any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 27 September 2014 - 05:00 PM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/920730

The pagefile is a necessary file, while hiberfil.sys is not.  I've never seen the advantages of hibernation, so I always disable it and delete hiberfil.sys.

You can manually adjust the size of the pagefile...the default settings make it much larger than it should be, IMO, based on the fact that a Win 7 system is not likely to be as RAM-deficient as previous versions of Windows.  The more RAM employed...the less use for a large pagefile.

The default pagefile setting results in 1.5 times the amount of installed RAM...a system with 4GB or more of RAM...does not need the default settings used, IMO.

Louis

#3 Tomterific

Tomterific
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:44 AM

Thanks, Louis, but I have tried all the fixes you offered including the MS Fixit. Still no hibernate ability. I need to use that provision because we often have dropped power here in central east Florida. My backup power supply can readily be exhausted and drop out. So it has the ability to go to hibernation before its battery is exhausted. Good feature. In addition, my wife's desktop often comes out of sleep for no reason I can find. So, now when she walks away for an hour of more she will use hibernation and of course it stays off then.. There's GOT to be a way to solve this problem?

#4 Ivy74

Ivy74

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2014 - 09:33 AM

Thanks, Louis, but I have tried all the fixes you offered including the MS Fixit. Still no hibernate ability. I need to use that provision because we often have dropped power here in central east Florida. My backup power supply can readily be exhausted and drop out. So it has the ability to go to hibernation before its battery is exhausted. Good feature. In addition, my wife's desktop often comes out of sleep for no reason I can find. So, now when she walks away for an hour of more she will use hibernation and of course it stays off then.. There's GOT to be a way to solve this problem?

Well assuming you are willing to take a different direction as someone not a fan of power saving settings (Sleep and Hibernation) I turn it all off. I then set the setting for battery to "shutdown" the computer properly if the battery reaches x%. However, if you are using an external UPS that will require for you to connect it via USB so it can be monitored. 

***Note***

My job has blocked Europe by the firewall which means I can't access this site from the office anymore. So I will barely be here if at all. In case you cared.  :smash:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users