Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is the Best

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Qas

Qas

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 09 June 2006 - 06:51 PM

Hello i am finishing my exams on the 19th June

I just want some help i want the BEST first person shooter game out to play. I mean a really good one

the specs of my PC are

Intel Dual Core @ 2.8 GHz
1 GB DDR2 Ram (Might go 1.5)
ATI Radion X6000

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2006 - 08:37 PM

ULTIMATE DOOM
(sorry I don't have any other FPS games for PC and I'm not much of a gamer :thumbsup: )

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#3 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 09 June 2006 - 10:17 PM

I'm just going to assume that you ment Radeon x600.

I'd have to say some of the best PC shooters are the Half-Life games, Half-Life 1 (very outdated graphics but really fun) and Half-Life 2 (newer and awsome) and new episodic content are extremly high quality. Also, not only would you be limited to just the Half-Life games, but getting them also opens you up to all the mods (Counter Strike 1.6/CZ, Team Fortress Classic, Afraid of Monsters to name a few single player and multiplayer ones) which while some might suck, there are many really good ones and upcomming ones (Fortress Forever, Insurgency mod, Nuclear Dawn to name a few new ones).

Doom 3, F.E.A.R, Quake 4, Quake Wars (unreleased), Battlefield 2, Prey (unreleased), and Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion (mix first person and third person but its more RPG style) have all been good single and multiplayer games.

Edited by Wizdabest, 09 June 2006 - 10:18 PM.

#4 Qas

Qas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2006 - 11:45 AM

I'm just going to assume that you ment Radeon x600.

I'd have to say some of the best PC shooters are the Half-Life games, Half-Life 1 (very outdated graphics but really fun) and Half-Life 2 (newer and awsome) and new episodic content are extremly high quality. Also, not only would you be limited to just the Half-Life games, but getting them also opens you up to all the mods (Counter Strike 1.6/CZ, Team Fortress Classic, Afraid of Monsters to name a few single player and multiplayer ones) which while some might suck, there are many really good ones and upcomming ones (Fortress Forever, Insurgency mod, Nuclear Dawn to name a few new ones).

Doom 3, F.E.A.R, Quake 4, Quake Wars (unreleased), Battlefield 2, Prey (unreleased), and Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion (mix first person and third person but its more RPG style) have all been good single and multiplayer games.

WOW thanks yeh i played fear its good is Ghost Reckon anygood thanks again

#5 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2006 - 01:32 PM

The new one? Advanced Warfighter? If so, i've played the demo of it but I had a hard time with the controls and it ran kind of poorly so I really can't say. It looks very nice though.

My specs are,

Athlon 4000+
2 gigs ram
7800 gt.

#6 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2006 - 01:40 PM

Yeah, i second the half-life / half-life 2 choice. I bought the Half-Life Gold Edition (HL1) and got HL, Blue Shift, Opposing Force, Team Fortress, and Counter-Strike 1.6 all for about $25. A VERY good buy.

Half-Life 2 is also an awesome choice, and should be fairly cheap now.

Rainbow Six games are pretty good as well. They're more squad-based and strategic than the Half-lifes, Doom, and Quake, but very exciting and intense.

I personally can't recommend Doom 3. I played it a while back and it was "meh". There was basically no story, and no variations in gameplay. It was really just "run down this corridor, shoot these guys, repeat". The graphics were VERY nice, but the game was a let-down.

#7 Venek

Venek

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2006 - 11:40 PM

Yeah, Half-Life games you can't go wrong with, especially Half-Life 2. If you want sheer chaos and play a little history, go for Call of Duty series. The original with United Offensive expansion should be in the bargain bins by now.
UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

#8 conk

conk

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 11 June 2006 - 10:48 AM

why has noone mentioned battlefield 2 or even 1942? still hl and hl2 are about the best at the moment espicially single player another good one might be far cry its a bit old but still looks and plays great its cheap aswell now i got my copy for 10 about $15 i think.
If the universe is ever expanding, what are we expanding into?

#9 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2006 - 12:08 PM

why has noone mentioned battlefield 2 or even 1942? still hl and hl2 are about the best at the moment espicially single player another good one might be far cry its a bit old but still looks and plays great its cheap aswell now i got my copy for 10 about $15 i think.

Battlefield 2 is so chaotic when you play in a 64 player server. My favorite maps are Strike at Karkand and Gulf of Oman.

I don't know if I can reccomend Far Cry, the acting is so bad and its really hard (the AI knows where you are and likes to headshot you instantly) which makes the game laughable and frustration inducing. I'm so excited for Crysis though and I will most likely be upgrading my computer with DX10 for it.

#10 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 12 June 2006 - 07:10 AM

It seems I will be going againts the stream. Half-Life was horrible; played it for a couple hours and then gave up, never looking back. I bought Half-Life 2 just to test steam and it was ok but hardly the best shooter I've tried.

On the single-player side I really liked these games: Both Call of Duty and Call of Duty 2, The first Soldier of Fortune (the single-player in the second was horrible), Alien vs Predator 2, Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight, Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast, Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, Star Trek: Elite Forces 2.

On the multi-player side I liked: Unreal Tournament and Unreal Tournament 2004 (onslaught FTW), Solider of Fortune 2 (with gold patch), Serious Sam: both first and second encounter (done some mean LAN co-op gaming :thumbsup:), Command & Conquer: Renegade, Call of Duty 2, Alien vs Predator 2, NERF Arena Blast.

Then, of course, there are a lot of other decent shooters that didn't make the lists, but these are what I liked.

Edited by Mr Alpha, 12 June 2006 - 07:14 AM.

"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#11 locally pwned

locally pwned

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 12 June 2006 - 12:38 PM

I have played Half-Life and Counter-Strike for many years, and I have continued to enjoy the Source-based games as well (aka Half-Life 2 and CS:Souce). To me, CS is the best shooter of all time. It is a perfect balance of speed and "realism" (for lack of better word). Anyway, the Half-Life series is just great...it has tons of great mods! Team Fortress Classic, Death Match Classic, and of course Day of Defeat (among others). DoD was fun when it came out; I haven't got DoD:Source yet though.

UT is a great multi-player game as well. UT2004 is fun, runs on most machines these days, and has mixed types of gameplay. It is around 20 bucks now.

I also have to agree with Heretic...the Clancy games are fun too. I played Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear back in the day, and I have been playing Rainbow Six 3 as well. Quite a different feel than the fast paced shooters, but every bit as intense. Ding Chavez is dead?!? NNNNNOOOOoooo! Not Ding!

Then there's Call of Duty and Medal of Honor: Allied Assault. Both great games...a lot of fun at lans or online. I think COD is more fun though; it includes the Eastern Front as well. I have yet to play CoD 2; I have seen it though, it's pretty impressive.

I never cared for BF1942. I honestly thought it was pretty boring. I tried the demo for BF 2 and it felt exactly the same so I kicked it to the curb early, never bothering to pick up the game. Perhaps I jumped the gun, but eh, I don't have time to play the games I have. :thumbsup:

I have heard that Far Cry is another great FPS, but I haven't played it (I just oogled the screenshots when it first came out).
"The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking." - Albert Einstein

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands." - Douglas Adams

#12 MetalFX

MetalFX

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 13 June 2006 - 11:43 AM

Half-Life 2 without a doubt.
- Hi Di Hi Campers. Welcome to the happiest place on earth. (Said with a big scarastic grin.)

#13 LaChica

LaChica

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2006 - 09:06 PM

if u want a fast online large multiplayer match?

Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory

u dont have to pay for it
go here: DOWNLOAD FOR FREE
choose Windows or Lixus

the most ppl i saw playing was 64 !!!

Edited by LaChica, 16 June 2006 - 09:07 PM.

Posted Image

#14 Osiris

Osiris

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2006 - 03:54 PM

I dont know if its for pc but one of the best FPS ive ever played has to be the game BLACK i played it for xbox and alot of xbox games are out for pc so if im wrong feel free to correct me on this.
I can only learn what i want to learn.

#15 Baphometa

Baphometa

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2006 - 08:22 PM

COUNTER STRIKE SOURCE (Half Life 2)

or just old counter stike 1.6 both are my favorite first person shooters just for the pure crazyness of it all

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users