Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I know where it started but where does it end

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 RickWS

RickWS

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 27 September 2014 - 01:55 PM

2005 I wanted to end my homelessness of 15 years so I decided to cash out the medical portion of a Workmans Compensation claim. And since SSA finally admitted I was totally disabled and was giving me benefits so I could afford a place to live I ended my 15 years of homelessness. I was able to get an apartment which left a decent amount left I thought after all I had lost it was time to replace it and a little more.

Photography being not just a hobby with me it is a passion I decided to get my dream camera, the Nikon F4 and all the goodies that made it capable of capturing any and everything and being the computer age I thought I would add a PC capable of replacing a darkroom. Then I thought with the computer I could do video so I got a Sony Hi8 video camera capable of stereo and low light capabilities.

Now you must know I am a mechanic/machinist/carpenter jack of all trades kinda guy, I don’t do computers. I was called the Lead Crasher when I was at Ampex in 72 when I worked as a data entry clerk to help debug the fingerprint system for the Los Angles Police Department, twice I brought the system down that required sending everyone home for the rest of the day because my crash was so bad it took the several hours to undo what I did. Second time back I couldn’t touch it for over an hour to be sure it was going to run, ah but before the end of the day I brought it down. I have this gift.

The computer I got, an HP Media Center running XP Professional, ran over 1600 dollars, I got it from Frys on sale for 1100 hundred, just for the tower, wireless mouse and keyboard, I use my Sony Bravia 32” as the monitor, yea I went all out. Well after 3 months of , several recoveries HP sent me the OS Discs twice because they thought the first ones were corrupt. With the second set I got on the phone with HP told them my ticket number and they turned me over to a tech that was going to be my personal tech to take it to the end of getting my PC up and running. First he took me trough the erasing, reformatting and the installation of the XP OS, we did this in steps we erased and reformatted both drives and I was left with installing from the discs the OS and then wait for him to call back to do the service packs one at a time and then setting up the internet and the rest.

When this all failed they decided that the PC was corrupt so they swapped me out for the machine I have today which is the HP m9150f running Vista Home Premium which I have had to factory reset so far to date over 30 times. I must say that innocent little PC user is long gone, I now help others with their PC’s

Well that is me in nut shell, cuz I am a bit of a nut.

But as you can see I am here because the problems with HP/Microsoft/Windows is still ongoing, and goes on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on,……….

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,967 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 27 September 2014 - 03:48 PM

If you would like to know "where does it end", everything ends with five words "heat death of the universe". It's a pretty horrible scenario involving the second law of thermodynamics bringing everything into an equilibrium state of high entropy, the stars die, all the light elements fuse into iron, all the heavy elements fission into iron, then black holes evaporate away due to hawking radiation disappearing in bright puffs of energy, sooner or later all that is left is electrons, positrons and photons whizzing around in an empty vacuum interacting with each other less than once in a million years. At that time life will be impossible however advanced it's technologies might be, everything mankind or any alien race has done buried beneath the debris of a universe in ruins. Fortunately you have a while to wait for that, if you have any computer problems in the intervening period between now and then you are probably in the right place. Note that bleeping computer staff will be unable to assist you with hardware damage caused by sheltering near the event horizon of a hawing radiation emitting black hole or with data corruption due to proton decay. This site also cannot advise on which operating systems will still be supported at the time of the sun's transition to red giant phase, or which settings for your camera are best for making lasting memories of the milky-way's collision with andromeda, or whether solid state or optical backups will fare better when the earth is captured by the gravitational field of another star, or malware coded by boltzmann brains, or how to maintain wi-fi connectivity throughout the last few minutes of the life of the supermassive blackhole at the centre of our galaxy. Anything else should be within the abilities of someone here. Welcome to the site.

Edited by rp88, 27 September 2014 - 04:08 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users