Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Shuts Off Randomly (I think it's a PSU voltage issue.)

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 RyuheiAoi

RyuheiAoi

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 27 September 2014 - 12:36 PM

Hello all, I've had issues for a while with my custom-build computer, but only recently have they become something more than minor.

First, specs.

Case: Cooler Master HAF X

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H

Processor: Intel i5-4670 (Haswell)

Video Card: AMD Radeon R9 280x 3GB

RAM: 16 GB (4x4 GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9)

PSU: Corsair HX750 750W

Samsung 840 256 GB SSD (6 GB/s)

Seagate Barracude 2 TB HDD (6 GB/s)

Issues: The computer shuts off randomly (First noticed while gaming, very repeatable when gaming, but does not require gaming. Can happen when just web-browsing, or when the computer is idle just after starting up to the Windows login screen). Often times, after shutdown, the computer will not start back up (Hard-drive and fans spin up, but no POST codes, and the computer never displays anything on my monitor) I have done a clean install of Windows to make sure it was not software related, and have repeatedly checked my drivers.

I've disassembled the machine to ensure there was no short on the backside of the MOBO or from loose cables touching anything they shouldn't. I've made sure all cables were attached, and have removed and re-added the components to the MOBO to ensure proper seating and the like. The computer seems to run just fine. However, I installed Speccy today after reading about it on this forum, and I came across what I think may be the issue, though I am not sure.

This is the reading from the Voltage section of the Motherboard category in Speccy (Image also attached):

CPU CORE 0.756 V
MEMORY CONTROLLER 2.028 V
+3.3V 1.992 V
+5V 3.427 V
+12V 3.264 V
-12V (7.152) V
-5V (6.000) V
+5V HIGH THRESHOLD 2.822 V
CMOS BATTERY 1.632 V

I'm not exactly an electrician, but a low of those seem like they are below tolerance. Is it possible that low voltages are causing my outages?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,655 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 27 September 2014 - 07:43 PM

I'm not a hardware expert but those voltages are out of tolerance.

+3.3V 1.992 V
+5V 3.427 V
+12V 3.264 V
-12V (7.152) V

To verify it you can manually check the voltages with a multimeter. Be sure to unplug the power and ground yourself to some bare metal of the case before removing the 24pin plug.

24-pin-atx-pinout.gif

#3 RyuheiAoi

RyuheiAoi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2014 - 04:59 AM

I don't have a multimeter, but have ordered one off Amazon. I only acquired the PSU last November. Would this be something that qualifies as a manufacturing defect, covered by my warranty? Assuming, of course, it is just not giving me the volts it should.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 28 September 2014 - 06:51 AM

With all the voltages being reported as wildly off, I'd suspect Speccy is misreading the voltage parameters from your board. Until you are able to double-check with an accurate meter, what voltage reports are given in the BIOS setup?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 RyuheiAoi

RyuheiAoi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2014 - 09:50 PM

With all the voltages being reported as wildly off, I'd suspect Speccy is misreading the voltage parameters from your board. Until you are able to double-check with an accurate meter, what voltage reports are given in the BIOS setup?

The voltages seem much more normal from the BIOS.

Attached Files

#6 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 28 September 2014 - 10:26 PM

Take note, anything related to voltage or temperature readings are never accurate from measure within an operating system. The best way to measure is via multimeter for voltages. Temperature is +/-5 or so degrees depending on the program used; however, has been known to be more erratic. 

You can also check to ensure that you have no blown capacitors on your motherboard, it may cause similar symptoms (probably unlikely). 

mYIGVc5.png

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,875 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2014 - 04:48 AM

The BIOS voltages are quite within expectation, see if they are confirmed when you can check with a meter.

#8 RyuheiAoi

RyuheiAoi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2014 - 05:37 AM

Will do. Thing should be here on Tuesday. If the voltages are fine, what is the other possible issue(s) that would make sense for this? Or are there any?

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,875 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2014 - 05:58 AM

Per Google, seems a few people unhappy with that board?

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,655 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:52 AM

There is a LED readout below your RAM slots. Check what codes it shows during shutdown.

#11 RyuheiAoi

RyuheiAoi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2014 - 09:44 PM

Is that the two-digit number panel on the MOBO? 

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,655 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:48 AM

Yes, I didn't read the manual but it should list the codes and what they mean.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users