Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

weird click sort of sound ?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 traptack

traptack

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 27 September 2014 - 11:15 AM

I got a check cable connection today pxe-mod exiting Intel pxe Rom. No bootable device.

So I searched and removed my hdd then set it back in snug.
When I boot up again I hear this weird click sound.. almost like something is stuck or brushing against something ?

Kind of lost on what I should do. I have a sound file on my phone too if anyone knows a link so I can upload audio

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 676 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 28 September 2014 - 11:46 AM

That clicking sound, along with the "PXE" error is NOT good news.

More often than not, that type of clicking sound is the read/write heads in the hard drive repeatedly trying in vain to find the bootup info on the hard drive and failing. The PXE error means the computer itself cannot find a local drive with a bootable Operating System to boot the computer with and so is trying to boot from some non-existant device out on a Network.

Unfortunately, what this usually means is that the hard drive has died. :(

All hard drives die. They're mechnical beasts. With moving parts, (reciprocating heads and spinning platters). These moving parts cause wear. And when those parts are worn down enough, it's TITSUP, (Total Inability To Support Usual Performance). And there is no fixing it.

#3 traptack

traptack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 29 September 2014 - 03:23 PM

That clicking sound, along with the "PXE" error is NOT good news.

More often than not, that type of clicking sound is the read/write heads in the hard drive repeatedly trying in vain to find the bootup info on the hard drive and failing. The PXE error means the computer itself cannot find a local drive with a bootable Operating System to boot the computer with and so is trying to boot from some non-existant device out on a Network.

Unfortunately, what this usually means is that the hard drive has died. :(

All hard drives die. They're mechnical beasts. With moving parts, (reciprocating heads and spinning platters). These moving parts cause wear. And when those parts are worn down enough, it's TITSUP, (Total Inability To Support Usual Performance). And there is no fixing it.

hey! thanks for the reply and well as of right now it's a miracle that my laptop is still running. It seemed to resolve itself a few hours later after worrying about it (no more sounds either). What should I do now? get a back up HDD? if so would  a SSD be good too?

Edited by traptack, 29 September 2014 - 04:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users