Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble sharing a printer (cabled to a WinXP computer) with a Win 7 laptop

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 anonanon

anonanon

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 27 September 2014 - 11:10 AM

I have a home network that includes a PC running Windows XP (PC # 1) that is connected to a printer, and a second PC (PC # 2).

Until recently, I had a Dell laptop running Windows XP on the same network.  It was able to print to the printer, which was set up as a shared printer.

I replaced the Dell laptop with a Macbook Pro running Windows 7.  The new laptop can't see anything on the network except the router.  It can't see PC # 1 and hence it can't see the printer.  It also can't see PC # 2, for what that's worth.

I want to get the Macbook's Windows applications to print on that printer.  I assume there is something I need to set on Win 7 to enable it to see the rest of the network.  But following the standard advice from Microsoft online hasn't allowed it to do that.

What would help?

Thanks,

Roger

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 27 September 2014 - 12:20 PM

Possible help ... http://www.ehow.com/how_8259847_connect-computers-together-wireless-network.html .

and ... http://www.ciscopress.com/articles/article.asp?p=1405566 .

#3 anonanon

anonanon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2014 - 08:44 PM

Dear ElfBane,

Thanks, I worked through both checklists, but the Macbook still cannot see the WinXP computer or the rest of the network, only the router.

The two checklists contradict each other in one point.  The first checklist, from Ehow, said to make sure that simple file sharing is checked in folder options.  The second checklist said to UNCHECK  it on the WinXP machine and UNCHECK Use Sharing Wizard on the Win7 machine.

I did it both ways, with restarts in between.  Neither approach allowed the Macbook to see the Win XP printer.  Which way should I leave that setting -- simple file sharing/use sharing wizard ENABLED or DISABLED?

Does anyone have any other ideas of what could be wrong, and what I could try?

Thanks,

Roger

#4 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2014 - 09:42 AM

It's beyond my skill then. Someone will be along that's better at networking. Until that happens, a question;

How is Win 7 set up on the MacBook? Dual-boot or in a VM?

#5 anonanon

anonanon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2014 - 09:49 AM

Win7 runs in Parallels, which I guess is a VM.

Given that, I suppose that might mean that the network identification problem is one level deeper, in the Mac OS.....  Right?

I've been following advice for networking a Win 7 and a Win XP computer -- but maybe I need to look for advice on networking a Mac OS X computer and a Win XP computer.

Roger

#6 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2014 - 12:40 PM

What I'm thinking is that NTFS permissions may be involved,,, and I'm not sure how Parallels handles the Win7 VM. Would that VM have the NTFS file system? I don't know.

#7 anonanon

anonanon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2014 - 04:43 PM

Thanks for the ideas.  I got the printer to work by entering the printer's full name in the add printer dialog box.  Never got the Macbook to recognize the entire network, but all I need is access to the printer.

Roger

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users