Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop CPU fan not working

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 j_bins

j_bins

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 27 September 2014 - 10:36 AM

Hi,

I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop that I recently opened up to clean the CPU fan.

When I removed the 3 pin connector from the fan it broke so when I put the fan back it did not work. (i also began to wonder if he fan was working before?).

I ordred a new fan off ebay and that worked fine but was very noisy. So I opened it up again and put a drop of oil on the spindle. It made little deifferece to the noise but then the fan stopped working all together.

I opened up the laptop again and realised I had put one of the laptop case screws through of the wires connecting the fan :(

I tried to tape the wire but it did not work. I might try soldering at a later date.

So I ordered another fan (a cheap seconhand one from ebay). When I fitted it that didn't work :(

It might be that the fan is faulty but I am wondering if anyone could suggest any other possible causes that might be stopping the fan from working? Could I have done damage to the computer by screwing through the wire?

I had a look in the Bios but I can't see any mention of the fan. I can't access the Dell Utility partition since I installed Linux Mint dual boot with XP. (I posted in the Linux forum to see how I can resolve that).

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks

J

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 674 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 28 September 2014 - 11:53 AM

A screw through a wire could allow an electrical current to travel across unintended paths, potentially short-circuiting (killing) other electronic components. :(

#3 j_bins

j_bins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2014 - 01:03 PM

A screw through a wire could allow an electrical current to travel across unintended paths, potentially short-circuiting (killing) other electronic components. :(

...that does not sound good. I guess I need to test the computer with a fan that I know works. So I either need to buy a new fan again or find a way to test the one I have.....

#4 j_bins

j_bins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2014 - 11:32 AM

OK.

I have briefly tested the fan outside of the laptop with x4 1.5v batteries.

The fan works.

The problem then must then be either a problem with the mobo or the software that controls the fan (bios?)

Any ideas what I could try next?

I think the Yellow wire must be the Speed Sensor wire and I am not sure I can test that (assuming the  Black wire is Ground and the Red is  +5V).

:)

Edited by j_bins, 02 October 2014 - 11:49 AM.

#5 j_bins

j_bins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2014 - 11:15 AM

OK here is an update.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have now run the Dell diagnostics from a bootable disc:

Fan Test - Fail.

error code 3700:011B

Msg - expected Processpr fan on high RPM of 3700. Detected fan RPM = 0

Sensor Test - Pass.

CPU+VIDEO+SODIMM Thermistor tests all passed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have now updated the Chipset Driver and flashed the BIos.

I installed the i8kfanGui3.1 software to see if I could gain control of the fan that way but was unsuccesful

Assuming that the fan is in working order (all three tested OK with a battery) then I think there must be a problem with the motherboard. Anybody got ant ideas on how to test and fix such problems?

EDIT: ....after a bit more research.....I think I may need to get hold of a multimeter and check the fan connector on the motherboard?

Edited by j_bins, 03 October 2014 - 12:01 PM.

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,602 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2014 - 01:48 PM

j_bins

Not to question you, but you said you damaged the wire.  I am assuming the wire on the motherboard side of the connector and that is why the fan works connected via. batteries.  Why would you think it was anything else than the damaged wire at this point.  I would start with that fan wire and you should mention if it is on the motherboard side.  These wires are very sensitive as you could probably imagine, if it is damaged then it IMO could very well not work at all.  This is probably unfortunate as it is probably on the motherboard side.  I don't know anything about all this, just trying to use some logic and a little experience.  If you do solder this wire it might have to be done on the motherboard...with a whole new wire...rather than trying to patch this one, but I am not sure.  Good luck, I'll be watching.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#7 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 05 October 2014 - 12:41 AM

The problem then must then be either a problem with the mobo or the software that controls the fan (bios?)

... or else a smidgin of oil that has got where it shouldn't be? Including the mobo

From the time difference I am guessing UK?

I wouldn't be monkeying with electrical components that might be compromised. We'd like to see you back here.

Cheers

Wizard

#8 j_bins

j_bins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2014 - 04:22 AM

Hi pcpunk,

Thanks for you post :)

The damaged wire was on the fan side of the connector - from the fan to its connector. I have got 3 fans:

• One has a broken connector so that doesn't work - but if i replace its connector it may work (spins OK with a battery).
  • One I put a screw through its wire so that doesn't work - I may be able to solder it (it spins OK with a battery).
  • The other is complete and is the most recent replacemnet. It is second hand but spins fine from a battery. This is the fan I am hoping to use.

If I can test that power is being sent from the connector on the mobo then I can establish if the problem is on the fan side or the computer side. Until now all that I have really been able to test is the fan. I have ordered a multimeter but I am still not sure the best/safest way to test the connector on the mobo. I guess I will disassemble the laptop so that I can reach the connector on the mobo. Then boot (using the battery not mains - maybe safer?).

Hi Wizard,

Yes, I am in the UK....I should update my profile a bit...although I am moving to Ireland in a couple of months.

Good suggestion on the oil. I was very careful when I added a drop of oil to the fan. I will check the computer for any signs of contamination. I have carefully cleaned the connectorts with Isopropyl Alcohol.

I understand the concern over messing with electical componenets. I just want to try and resolve the issue myself - I like learning about this stuff. At some point though I might reach a bit of a dead end as I have to accept that it is beyond my capabilities to fix.

Cheers again,

I will update if I progress :)

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,602 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2014 - 11:24 AM

I think this is very likely, and hope you learn something with your new multi meter, I have a really nice one left over from an electronics course I took and use it whenever I can.  I am guessing it would be quite easy to check this but again I know almost nothing about computers lol.  Should be easy to find a value for this, neg/positive=outcome easy peasy, unfortunately I don't know how you would do this without being powered up, perhaps testing continuity or resistance or something.  

When you test these fans are you getting a steady run for fifteen seconds or so, or did ya just get it to run then stop?  Remember to go onto youtube and find info on this as I am sure there is something there to help with this issue.  I am guessing there is good info on replacing and diagnosing fans.  I'll be watching to see what happens.  Here is one but only shows how to reinstall:

Edited by pcpunk, 05 October 2014 - 11:59 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#10 j_bins

j_bins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2014 - 11:23 AM

Cheers for the post pcpumk.

I had seen the very same Youtube video on the Inspiron 6000 - very good.

I have finally got around to opening up the laptop and testing the current coming from the board at the fan socket.

To do this I took off the case and then powered up using the battery (I had to leave the HD in for this to work).

At that point the fan should (I think) at least spin on full for a moment, which it didn't of course. So I tested the two pins that corresponded with the black and red wires with a multimeter set on DC. There was no reading.

Next I tried powering up with the multimeter already on the pins to see if there was any power sent at this stage. I did get a brief 1 or 2 second reading of about 1.5V. On repeated attempts I got a similar result. However this small amount of power must not be enough to spin the fan.

I am certain that the fans I am using do work as I again tested them with a battery.

To conclude I think the problem must be with the motherboard - any ideas on how to solve that? I wondered if there was anywhere else on the motherbaord it would be possible to draw 5V power for the fan?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users