Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Odd laptop display issue and miraculous resolution.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 gregwhits

gregwhits

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 27 September 2014 - 09:12 AM

Hello,

First, I used some previous posts to troubleshoot my laptop over the last couple of days, which were useful in narrowing down possibilities, so I decided to join the community myself.

My laptop is an Acer Aspire 5552 series. I booted up, and the screen was backlit and black, though it was obviously booting up and making the login noise when it reached that screen.

This happened about two weeks previously, and after rebooting once or twice the situation righted itself on it's own somehow. However, the second time this did not work.

I first tried taking the battery out, holding the power button down to release excess charge or whatever that does, and then plugging in to the power adapter and restarting. This did not work.

Next, I opened up the bottom and tested the memory individually in each port, but nothing changed.

After that, I resigned myself to taking it in to get repaired. So I boot it up to test again, and lo-and-behold the screen now works!

So my question -- what could be causing this issue, that seems to mysteriously right itself with time? 

Two things worth noting.

- I think my battery might be on it's way out (the laptop is 4 years old)

- I dual boot Ubuntu and Windows, and when I use the Linux partition the computer runs significantly hotter than it does running Windows 7, which I don't use that often. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 27 September 2014 - 12:39 PM

There are a few things to check, the first would be the connection (ribbon cable) from the P/S area to the display element in the cover.  The other would be the inverter board for the display and backlight, sometimes mounted in the base but often within the cover, under the bezel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users