Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost outbound packets on Windows Vista

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 goofin

goofin

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 27 September 2014 - 07:30 AM

My father's machine is running an up-to-date Windows Vista.

He moved to a different ISP.  He had no network issues with the previous ISP.

When he moved, I got his computer connected to the new ISP (RoadRunner).  At that same time, I removed some of the software he had installed including TrendMicro that his former ISP provided.  I installed AVG free to replace it.

He started complaining about his connection coming and going.  I also noticed this remotely via instant messenger because I could see him connecting and dropping every few seconds.

My method for reproducing the problem is to open a cmd and ping -t his gateway (default route).  There will be several successful pings in a row and then some "Request timed out" or "Destination Host Unreachable".  Often, the successful reponses immediately around these are very long -- seconds.

So, I started wireshark to watch what was happening during this test.  I can still see all the traffic on the other side of the NIC -- NETBIOS requests for who is, etc.  During the failed pings, wireshark doesn't see any outgoing requests.  This led me to believe it's some software on the machine blocking the outgoing requests.

I've removed AVG -- no change.  I've shutoff the firewall -- no change.  I tried a different NIC (the machine has two) -- no change.

When I reboot, I immediately start up a cmd window and ping and for quite a while it's fine and then the dropped packets start.  My father's user is non-privileged.  The privileged user sees the same problem.

I tried booting Knoppix, it doesn't have the problem.

I tried booting into Safe Mode with networking, it doesn't have the problem.

Any advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Richard

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 29 September 2014 - 11:17 AM

"This led me to believe it's some software on the machine blocking the outgoing requests."

Software blocking is all or nothing but never intermittent.

Usually your first step is to update the drivers for the network interface you are using.

#3 goofin

goofin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2014 - 06:00 PM

"Software blocking is all or nothing but never intermittent."

That's what I thought.  But, when all packets made it out in Safe Mode with Networking, I questioned my thinking.

"Usually your first step is to update the drivers for the network interface you are using."

I went to the Realtek web site and downloaded the latest driver they had for this NIC.  After installing it, I had the same problems as before:  intermittent outgoing packet loss when booted in Normal Mode.  Safe Mode with Networking works fine.  Wireshark in Normal Mode doesn't see outgoing packets when ping -t says it's getting "Request timed out" or "Destination Host Unreachable".  So, it appears those packets aren't getting to the driver.

I tried the Realtek diagnostics to check the IRQ, MAC, PHY, buffers, etc.  It says everything is fine.

I brought up Task Manager and started killing processes to see if I could hit the magic one that would make the problem go away.  I haven't found it, yet.

I turned off everything in the Network Connection except IPV4 -- no difference.

My father and I are both getting frustrated.  I'd hate to have to buy him another computer due to some simple little thing we can't find.

I'm open to and would appreciate any suggestions.

Richard

#4 goofin

goofin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 04:56 PM

I decided to try upgrading my father's computer to Windows 7.  I brought the computer to my house and connected it to my network -- with which it had no problem connecting to the internet.  During the compatibility test, the installation aborted saying I had to remove Trend Micro Internet Security before trying the installation again.  I had already removed that software which was "required" by my father's previous ISP.  There was no trace of it under Control Panel.  Knowing that it was a perfect candidate for blocking internet access, I downloaded a removal tool from the Trend Micro website, ran it and removed the Trend Micro folder under Programs.  I decided to take the computer back to my father's house to see if the problem still existed (since I couldn't recreate the problem at my house).  The problem was resolved!

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 05:14 PM

As a general rule, if you are removing an anti-virus or security or a combo pack - check for a removal tool. If there is one use it. But you figured that out =) good job. BTW that was a hell of a troubleshooting technique  

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#6 goofin

goofin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 08:45 PM

Yeah, and not one I would recommend.  I had given up and was hoping the upgrade would solve the problem.  I lucked out.  I had asked for some way to find out what was still running but never got a reply.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users