Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cable to connect samsung phone to computer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 27 September 2014 - 07:08 AM

I have an old samsung phone and want to connect it to my computer, it's "whatever it is" port at one end of a wire, my computer's usb port at the other end. The phone's type...has one port on it's casing and this port seems to be for charging and data connections at the same time. Maybe there is a chance that this type cannot be connected to a computer at all but given some of the functions it has built in (a place to store some images but no camera and no ability to browse the internet or receive images via text or email)i would assume it must be able to transfer data between it and the computer. i was also wondering what format it's current (the ones that came installed on it when i bought it)ring tones and alarm tones would be in, and if this type of phone could support standard audio formats being used to put some extra alarm/ring tones on it.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 28 September 2014 - 02:51 PM

According to several sites USB to Micro USB with Samsung Kies software on the PC should work. You'll need Kies version 2.6 since the device was released before September 2013.

Assuming you're in the US Kies can be found here: http://www.samsung.com/us/kies/

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2014 - 02:54 PM

The cable slot on this device is NOT for microUSB, i know what microUSB looks like, this port is wider.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2014 - 03:17 PM

Yes you are correct. This is the type of cable, but it should work as well: http://www.world-of-accessories.co.uk/original-samsung-data-lead-type-models-p-923.html Your phone model is listed.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#5 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2014 - 03:23 PM

Yes, that's the type. Can't transfers be done without the software though, just browsing through the phone's file system like you would with a usb drive?

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2014 - 03:31 PM

Everything I've found says you need Kies for that model of phone.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#7 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2014 - 03:38 PM

Well once i've got that kind of cable i will try looking around within the phone and see if it works without "kies". As a second question do you know whether that software is also "needed" for the GT-C3590 , another samsung device.

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2014 - 04:22 PM

Google search says yes thats another Kies handset as well.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users