Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer randomly loses power and reboots

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kabo0m

Kabo0m

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 27 September 2014 - 02:18 AM

Hi please bare with me as I am not the most technical sounding but I try to be thorough. I am not exactly a noob with computers neither. I have an issue where I will be on the computer and then suddenly the computer loses all power and reboots. The only indication I have that something is happening at first is that I hear all my fans in the case stop (just silence) and then the computer is off. Then my computer restarts and states that it did not shut down correctly the last time and asks how I would like to start back into Windows (Safemode or not).

The only thing I can think of is the latest change to my computer which was a few months ago (in May?). My friend Dave talked me into putting in a different Motherboard for minor improvement since he got it for free and wanted to gift it to me. However that might just be coincidence. But this issue did not start until after he put in the  Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz.

As far as I know that is all that has been changed recently.

No BSOD recorded in the last month or so.

Occurrence of the "power outage" was just yesterday.

My current specs & etc:
------------------
Processor Name: Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz
Processor Information: Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 7
Number of Physical Cores: 4
Number of Logical Cores: 4
Installed System Memory: 4 GB
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Graphics Information: ATI Radeon HD 4850
System Product: BENICIA
System BIOS: 5.43
Case: ''OGRE Xtreme'' Nikao Case

My ex wonders if it might be the case is not right for this motherboard and is overheating or if the Power Supply is failing even though it is less than a year old and bought brand new.

The case looks like this:

ogresl%28240x320%29.jpg12403_Drive_Bay.jpg

What diagnostics should I run to figure out what is going on and what is wrong?

Edited by kabo0m the spam, 27 September 2014 - 02:26 AM.

DESKTOP - Main Rig:   Passmark & Mobo  (Manual) &  my Speccy (Video card is Radeon 7770) & 4Gb DDR2 RAM
NETBOOK:   PC: Acer Aspire ONE (D250 10.1")    //   CPU: Intel® Atom CPU N270 @ 1.60GHz   RAM: 2.0 GB  DDR2
Video Card: Intel® GMA 950 (256Mb)     OS:   Windows 7 Starter 32-bit SP1

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 27 September 2014 - 02:25 AM

It could be a few things:

• Powersupply might be going out and you may have to replace it. These will usually generate KernelPower errors in the event log
  • Capacitors (cylinders) on motherboard may be bad. Check them to see if they are bubbling/doming at the top
  • Possible issue with CPU, but this would usually result in a BSOD or Freezing to occur

Gavin Seabrook

#3 Kabo0m

Kabo0m
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 07 November 2014 - 06:18 PM

It could be a few things:

• Powersupply might be going out and you may have to replace it. These will usually generate KernelPower errors in the event log
  • Capacitors (cylinders) on motherboard may be bad. Check them to see if they are bubbling/doming at the top
  • Possible issue with CPU, but this would usually result in a BSOD or Freezing to occur

:question:  Power supply seems fine. How can I test? It hasn't lost power in a month this time.

:thumbsup2:   Doesn't look like there is any bubbling on the motherboard.

:exclame:   CPU ... there is question about whether all my problems stem from going from a AMD CPU to a Intel CPU without a fresh install of Windows 7 64 bit. Could that be the cause?

:( Please advice what I should do to test power supply as well as if I should reinstall Windows and if that would fix the issues.

...........Even though I haven't had any more power outages I am still getting the freezing and the long response times and time outs in programs and games.. :smash:

:flame:  If the power offs were due to overheating there was an issue with the video card fan and that has been refixed so it is spinning again.

:graduate: Additionally I have ran Memtest 86+ v.5 for a few hours = no problems.

and I did a boot up scan (think it was chkdsk /f c:) for any corrupt files and it found none.

I also just did a sfc /scannow  and no issues:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright © 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

C:\Windows\system32>

Edited by kabo0m the spam, 07 November 2014 - 07:09 PM.

DESKTOP - Main Rig:   Passmark & Mobo  (Manual) &  my Speccy (Video card is Radeon 7770) & 4Gb DDR2 RAM
NETBOOK:   PC: Acer Aspire ONE (D250 10.1")    //   CPU: Intel® Atom CPU N270 @ 1.60GHz   RAM: 2.0 GB  DDR2
Video Card: Intel® GMA 950 (256Mb)     OS:   Windows 7 Starter 32-bit SP1

#4 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 07 November 2014 - 08:20 PM

cpu is probably overheating, can you check the temperatures?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users