Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adnxs question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Phade102

Phade102

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 27 September 2014 - 01:43 AM

Hi, first off let me just say I've had this thing on my computer for a while, but I have a few questions that i'm hoping someone here may be able to answer.

1. I get warnings in my event viewer about no dns servers responding with a few adnxs servers. Just to note i have NEVER been redirected while browsing the internet, not even when these things pop up. Is it still something I should be concerned about? I went through all the steps previously, and was unable to actually find anything.

2. when I first got this computer I was hit with this, and internet explorer was giving pop ups, so in response I installed firefox with no script and actually complete disabled internet explorer. Could that act have actually stopped the adware from displaying pop ups? I'm not sure how it works, so I'd appreciate some help.

Edited by Phade102, 27 September 2014 - 01:43 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 27 September 2014 - 05:28 AM

download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your desktop.
Close all open programs and internet browsers.
Double click on adwcleaner.exe to run the tool.
Click on Delete.
Confirm each time with Ok.
You will be prompted to restart your computer. A text file will open after the restart.
Please post the contents of that logfile with your next reply.
You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[S1].txt as well.

• download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop.
  • Shut down your protection software now to avoid potential conflicts.
  • Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista, 7, or 8; instead of double-clicking, right-mouse click JRT.exe and select "Run as Administrator".
  • The tool will open and start scanning your system.
  • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.
  • On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.
  • Post the contents of JRT.txt into your next message

Block Third Party aka Ad/ Tracking cookies from installing on your computer. Once they are blocked, you will need to

remove the ones presently installed. Disable third-party cookies in IE, Firefox, and Google Chrome | How To - CNET

Use CCleaner to remove ALL cookies, temporary files, clean program caches, Flash cookies, etc. Pay close attention

while installing and UNcheck offers of toolbars such as Yahoo. No need to use the Registry Cleaner and it has the potential to

harm your computer. CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

I noted in one scan you ran in another topic that you are using Avast. Is that the free version or paid for version? The

reason I ask is that the free version installs adware.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Phade102

Phade102
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2014 - 05:49 AM

wait a minute, are you serious? the free version installs adware? I've done all these scans before, none of them showed anything, but then it leads me to wonder if Avast is the one causing this? If so thats VERY upsetting!

If its true that Avast installs this Adnxs problem, Ill be immediately uninstalling and looking for another antivirus, even one I have to purchase such as F-secure.

Edited by Phade102, 27 September 2014 - 05:56 AM.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,103 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2014 - 06:48 AM

You may be able to block Avast's adware. See info in link below.

Avast SafePrice – how to remove that flippin’ pest! | I've Lost My Internet!

I don't know if that is the problem or not. Follow through with blocking the Ad/ Tracking cookies.

I have to ask....but you don't have to answer...what is with all of the games you have installed? I don't think

I have ever seen such a collection!

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 Phade102

Phade102
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2014 - 07:47 AM

Haha, no harm in asking! I absolutely love games, so I install alot, but I am going to be doing a purge and getting rid of the ones I dont play very soon, haha. I will follow your instructions and reply back once done.

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,103 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2014 - 07:59 AM

There is a lot of info...wordy....on that page. This is the important part:

In Mozilla Firefox:

Enter the following into your address bar: chrome://wrc/content/options.html

This gives you access to the “avast! Online Security Settings” screen.

Scroll down to the bottom and uncheck  “SafePrice Receive SafePrice shopping recommendations on relevant sites.”

Click on the “Save” button.

#7 Phade102

Phade102
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2014 - 01:37 AM

Turns out these new adnxs reports were coming from skype. Skype actually uses teh Appnexus platform for its adds.

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,103 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2014 - 04:08 AM

Other than the banner ads in Skype's free version on their console, do ads show up in other places in Skype?

I use Skype but I pay for it....a Skype phone #, yearly subscription and rarely open Skype on a computer as

I have one of their portable home phones.

How to disable ads in Skype’s chat window | Winaero

Block Skype Ads Quick and Easy - Skype Community

I recall that one app for Skype was very active in displaying popups....I think the app was for recording Skype conversations.

If you have any apps, especially free ones installed in Skype, then that could be the source, too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users