Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WIn 7 recognizes Optical wirelesss mose, but no cursor movement

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 brandon1234

brandon1234

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 27 September 2014 - 12:56 AM

My windows 7 has been having this issue.
My old mouse did not work. The cursor was stuck in then middle of the screen. Turns out, it did not work on ANY computer. Obviosuly a dead mouse.

I bought a New Mouse, here are the Facts:

Is recognized as a mouse, wirless, by MY Win 7 OS.

Driver installation is sucessful, With the new driver installing even if I uninstall the old one.

Mouse is turned on (Lights on)

Fresh battery.

The cursor does not respond to me moving the mouse, at all. But only for this mouse.

This is not an issue with the surface the mouse is working on, it is a normal wood desk

There is no connnect button, the mouse makes aconnection by itself on OTHER computers. This Wireless optical mouse works as expected when plugged into Other computers.

A Secondary mouse:

Other optical wired mice work as expected in MY computer.

USB ports:

All ports accept and connect to other devices (USB Drives, gamepads, trackball wired mice, etc)

This Optical Wireless mouse does not work in any USB port

All USB ports were uninstalled via the device Manager. As I was uninstalling them, Win OS would auto install the drivers again. I restarted, and all USB ports reinstalled.

Ran Combofix to check System File Integrity while in Safe Mode /w Networking. No change in issue. No Malware / Trogens found.

Environment issues:

Previously installed updated BIOS 2 months ago with no issues since last week.

CMOS was rest by battery removeal, reinsertion

Frustrated, I reimaged by C Drive with an older backup Image of my system. This did not change the issue behavior.

So:

I am at a loss at what to check for.

It doesn't seem to be a driver issue, as I've REimaged the whole drive to an earlier state.

It's not a hardware issue, as this mouse works perfectly fine in a MAC OSX and WIN 7 System, just not mine.

Its not A driver issue anyway, from the above two points AND other wired mice work fine.

The simple answer is to get a wired mouse, but I want to see if I can fix this first.

Any kind of direction, tips would be appreciated. I will keep coming back / reading the replies and updating this main post.

Edited: 9/27 with content

Edited by brandon1234, 27 September 2014 - 03:54 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to External Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2014 - 02:09 AM

Does your mouse/receiver have a "connect" button on them to synchronize the mouse to the receiver? 

Gavin Seabrook

#3 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 27 September 2014 - 05:58 AM

Also, just in case it applies to you, optical mice don't work well/at all on glass surfaces.

#4 brandon1234

brandon1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2014 - 03:53 PM

Added some info about the surface used (ie, not glass, etc) and information about the connect button (ie, no connect button)

Good ideas though.

#5 brandon1234

brandon1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2014 - 04:24 PM

WEll, This was a fix I will mark up as more of the Art, and not the science of computer repair.

I neglected to mention that it was a Rosewill Mouse (RM-7900). Nothing special, really, except they have a non intuitive way to force a connection if one is not found immediately.

Repair a Poor Wireless Connection

High temperature, high magnetic field, or vibrations can affect the wireless communication between the mouse and the USB nano receiver. Please follow the below steps to resolve connection issues:

1. Remove the USB nano receiver and reconnect it back into an available USB port

2. Switch the mouse ON with the switch on the bottom side of the mouse.

3. Press and hold the LEFT and SCROLL wheel buttons at the same time for 3 seconds and release

4. The mouse connection between the USB nano receiver and mouse is reconnected.

I did not end up doing this at all, but it got me thinking, if they have had connections that were difficult to make, maybe something is stopping mine? My USB ports are in th e back of my computer tower, not very flashy. Mostly I nput USB plugs there. What if, the bulk, or the electrical activity of the tower were blocking a solid connection to the mouse? I decided to reconnect the USB plug with the mouse right beside it.

And now it works. Something was blocking a solid initial connection in a way that WAS NOT occuring when plugged into the other systems, as they were a Win 7 Laptop, and a Desktop MAC OSX with a Keyboard USB slot located closer to the mouse. I've had four optical mice with wireless USB plugs, none of which have had this problem in the past on this same system; 2 logitech, a Microsoft, and a privexx.

This turned out to be a hardware post after all.

When connecting a wireless mouse, try it right next to the USB plug. It might save you a lot of trouble.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users