Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

new build: frankenrig lives (hopefully)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 defanged

defanged

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 27 September 2014 - 12:32 AM

Just to give you a little background: I work at home (i'm a photographer), but alternate between two locations a couple times a week. In location A I have an almost obnoxiously large PC - way more computing power than I would ever, ever need - that I built about six months ago. But, in location B, I've been using a secondhand clevo that looks like one of those photographs meant to demonstrate how NOT to build/maintain a PC. I finally have the right combo of time and money, and I'm going to see if I can win the lottery twice (well, technically, three times... last year I put together a very basic, air-cooled system for my brother). While I did spend 18 months working part time at a computer repair store, I don't consider myself an expert and I know that without both the internet and youtube I would probably leave building to the big boys... Oh, and the computer will be used mostly for photo editing + a couple hours a day (don't judge) playing elder scrolls online.

here are the parts I'm using:

cpu - 17-4770k @ 3.5GHz

mobo - ASUS maximus VI formula

ram - 32 GB G.Skill trident x

case - as far as i can tell, bit fenix makes two full tower cases in white... this is the not-ugly one (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811345025&cm_re=bit_fenix_tower_case-_-11-345-025-_-Product)

gpu - GTX 780 ti

cooling - EK 240 kit, plus EK waterblock for the 780 and some extra bits and pieces

optical - (recycle) dvd-rw drive

storage - (recycle) samsung 840 256 GB SSD (for OS)

either brand new hybrid drive that i was given some time ago, and never actually used and/or (recycle) either a 2 TB caviar black or 2 TB caviar blue

psu - corsair  1000 watts

fans - i have a fairly large box full of enough fans to comfortably outfit five PCs.

fan controller/temp monitor - (recycle) i'm planning on "borrowing" the bit fenix recon unit currently installed in the craptastic clevo

sound card - not going to bother

here's where i have to make a tough decision: i have brand new copies, discs  and activation codes, of both win 7 pro and win 8 pro. Both of my PCs and one of my laptops are still rocking win 7... My only experience with win 8 is my cheesy best buy refurb special laptop - - and i hate it. the stupid apps. the whole thing. i would never in a million years buy a touchscreen monitor... i get upset if my cellphone gets all smeared. but as much as i hate it, it's not going anywhere. (and it's still a million times better than anything created by mac)...

so:

1. I have done this before, but it never hurts to make sure everything goes right the first time. Anybody have any advice/tips? Even really basic stuff - - I won't be insulted.

2. 7 or 8? and, if you don't mind, why did you pick the one you picked?

3. Am I forgetting something totally crucial that will bring this whole project to a screeching halt?

thanks for the help!!

SETUP, as of 4/14 - Case: Corsair 900D full tower, PSU: corsair 1200 watts, MB: ASUS rampage IV extreme, GPU(s): 3 X Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 hydro copper classified in 3-way SLI , RAM: 64 GB corsair dominator platinum DDR3, CPU: i7 3970X extreme edition @ 3.5 GHz (hexacore), OD: ASUS blu-ray RW, Cooling: EK liquid system, incl. EK waterblock, EK fittings, EK pump, resevoir, coolant misc., generic tubing, Audio: Creative sound blaster Recon3D THX PCIE Fatal1ty Champion sound card, Storage: SSD/HD: 2 X 240 GB samsung SSD (OS - win 7 pro), 1 TB caviar black, 4 TB caviar blue.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 27 September 2014 - 02:19 AM

Everything looks great with this build. Stay away from hybrid drives, those things are junk. I would recommend sticking with Windows 7. It is reliable and doesn't have the annoying things that Windows 8 has. 

Gavin Seabrook

#3 Zerue

Zerue

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 27 September 2014 - 09:00 PM

here are the parts I'm using:

cpu - 17-4770k @ 3.5GHz

mobo - ASUS maximus VI formula

ram - 32 GB G.Skill trident x

case - as far as i can tell, bit fenix makes two full tower cases in white... this is the not-ugly one (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811345025&cm_re=bit_fenix_tower_case-_-11-345-025-_-Product)

gpu - GTX 780 ti

cooling - EK 240 kit, plus EK waterblock for the 780 and some extra bits and pieces

optical - (recycle) dvd-rw drive

storage - (recycle) samsung 840 256 GB SSD (for OS)

either brand new hybrid drive that i was given some time ago, and never actually used and/or (recycle) either a 2 TB caviar black or 2 TB caviar blue

psu - corsair  1000 watts

fans - i have a fairly large box full of enough fans to comfortably outfit five PCs.

fan controller/temp monitor - (recycle) i'm planning on "borrowing" the bit fenix recon unit currently installed in the craptastic clevo

sound card - not going to bother

Are these the parts your'e "using" right now in your system? or "using" in your planned build? 

If I am helping you but failed to reply within 24 hours, send me a PM.

------------------------------------

Please read these guides:

Before you post a problem

Provide system specifications

Advice on building your system

#4 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 29 September 2014 - 03:11 AM

The Mobo is over-priced and completely unnecessary. None of the options on these "gaming" motherboards are required, and a lot of the time redundant. If you require over-clocking, switch to a cheaper motherboard and save your money (make sure the motherboard supports over-clocking (most do nowadays)).

Replace the 780 Ti with the GTX980 (it's a new-comer and cheaper, but also more powerful due to Maxwell architecture and saves much more power). It already beats the 780 Ti, and 980 Ti is being released soon (rumoured).

Caviar blacks aren't worth their performance for price. Stay with Caviar Blue (or if you want to dish out the extra, that's up to you).

Edited by Ezzah, 29 September 2014 - 03:13 AM.

mYIGVc5.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users