Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble transferring files from XP pc

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jjbot

jjbot

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2014 - 11:45 PM

Here's the deal: I'm using 'Windows Easy Transfer' to transfer files from my old pc to my new laptop and I'm getting nowhere.

I follow the instructions and I'm stuck on "trying to connect"...

Another possible issue: on my laptop the program initially mentions xp as an option to transfer from but then tells me the software "is already built into this computer's OS" and when I proceed, xp is no longer a listed option -- instead it's win8, RT, and win7. This convinces me what I'm running won't support transfers from xp (and thus why I can't connect) even though the disc itself clearly states it's for transferring from xp.

I've tried uninstalling the version loaded onto the lappy, but it isn't listed.

Issue could be usb ports on the old comp but they work and I've tried them all, still "trying to connect". Also tried rebooting to no avail. I tried installing the cable driver, as rec'd on another site, but they appear to already be installed, so I doubt that's the issue.

Starting to think I wasted my money and will need an external hd, but I'd like to make this method work if possible.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 27 September 2014 - 02:00 AM

What are you trying to transfer from XP to windows 8? If it is just files (Documents, Pictures, Music etc), then just get an external drive or just transfer them across your network via shared folders. If you are trying to transfer programs and settings, I would recommend the program PC Mover. It has the ability to transfer all your actual programs, but there may be some that wont transfer due to compatibility problems.

Gavin Seabrook

#3 david.coffman

david.coffman

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 27 September 2014 - 02:03 AM

Gavins makes a great suggestion PC mover is an excellent program. The only question I have is do you have the actual cable for the Windows Easy Transfer program. From what I remember it requires a special cord that is used to connect the two pc's. If you don't have it you could possible get one at a local computer shop, best buy, office max, or staples. Just tossing an idea out.

#4 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 27 September 2014 - 02:22 AM

David is right if you are not transferring over a network. You would require a crossover cable if you hook the two computers directly together. 

Gavin Seabrook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users