Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

why did my laptop suddenly restored into its factory settings?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 3lm3r

3lm3r

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 26 September 2014 - 11:15 PM

Hi I'm my problem is that,I was just using my laptop as usual, and due to the fact that recently, it slows down, (at some point) some programs didn't open, and it cannot boot normally.  I ran virus and malware scan,but it didn't detect anything.Then last Wednesday, (if I recall correctly) while I'm using it,trying to do some windows update, I have encountered a message on the lower right screen showing a message, something like " windows not genuine" but my comp uses a genuine one which I'ved used for 3 years and updated on a regular basis. I decided to do a virus and malware scan using avira, norton360 and MBAM. It didn't find anything, and I reset it, and the message was gone. Then yesterday, I did another avira,mbam and norton 360 scan, and results were the same,then I did an adwrcleaner scan and since I am not familiar with some of the results, I unclicked the registry detections and decided to shut it down. Today, I opened and logged in to my admin (and only)  account, it happen to restore to factory settings. My files in  D:/ were there, also the programs installed, but ALL of my files in disk C are gone, my desktop wallpaper, gone, all files, icons and folders in desktop,also gone. I checked the disk space using my computer folder, it appears like it has the same free disk space since yesterday. I opened my google chrome,and all of bookmarks, history an visited places are gone, I even tried to run my Itunes and it's like I have to re install it. I  am using windows 7. I really think that I have a virus or malware/spyware infection, please help me to fix this. BTW, I tried to use system restore, and apparently, I haven't created a restore point (bummer).

Edited by 3lm3r, 26 September 2014 - 11:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 27 September 2014 - 02:36 AM

It sounds like your computer logged you in with a temporary profile since all your programs are still installed. Please go to the following folder:

c:\Users

See if there is a TEMP folder in there. If so your computer cannot access your old profile (for possibly multiple reasons).

You should also see a folder that has your username listed. If you go into that folder, you will see all the folders that make up your profile. Check the one listed as DESKTOP and see if your files are still in there. 

Gavin Seabrook

#3 3lm3r

3lm3r
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2014 - 03:27 AM

Hello, thanks, you're right. After reading your comment,I checked the C:\users folder and I can see  that there is a temp folder. Fortunately, I can see the folder with my username and the folders that make up my profile,which also has the folder listed as desktop. What can do to sort of revert these changes,so that I may use the original profile? (not this temp profile) 

#4 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 02:28 AM

There could be a slew of issues that would cause this. The best thing you can do is create a new profile (thus adding a new folder in the users folder), then copy all your information from the old profile to the new (you can copy and past the folders from one profile to another via the users folder), and then delete the old account. 

Gavin Seabrook

#5 3lm3r

3lm3r
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 11:58 PM

Thank you very much for your help. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users