Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hi There, Can I Delete The Pptp32.dll File?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Rebeldawn

Rebeldawn

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 09 June 2006 - 04:45 PM

Hi there and thank you for taking the time to read this, I am new to this site, I found it by searching for ways to get rid of certain trojans, I came to the conclusion that really need help heh.

I have run just about everything out there, nothing picks it up, i cant find the pptp32.dll in win explorer but i do see it with hijack this, can i just delete this file? or if I do will my computer fail to boot up, sorry I have limited experience with this kind of stuff. My AVG is about the only virus protector I use, it did pick it up but when i try to heal or move to vault it says(Requested action is not available for this object. Access to the file has been denied) as you can see i feel like the Edmonton Oilers DENIED, please help thanks :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rookie147

rookie147

• Members
  • 5,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 10 June 2006 - 02:48 AM

Hello Rebeldawn and welcome to Bleeping Computer!
First off, try following this tutorial, to try to remove this trojan from your PC:
How To Remove A Trojan, Virus, Worms or Other Malware

If this does not work, I would suggest posting a HijackThis Logs for one of our experts to analyse for you. Since you have limited knowledge I would recommend that you do not try to manually remove this trojan using HJT, but let an expert walk tyou through it, to avoid messing up your computer.
Please follow this tutorial before posting your HijackThis Log:
Preparation guide Before Posting A HijackThis Log

Hope this helps,
Charles

If you are pleased with the service I have offered, you may like to consider making a donation. Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 10 June 2006 - 02:50 PM

pptp32.dll is related to haxdoor, an infection that is hidden using rootkit files. Haxdoor is an advanced kernel-mode rootkit that injects its hooks to the user-mode from the kernel and removing it will require a special fix tool and expert assistance. I suggest you read the Prep Guide using the link provided by rookie147.

When you have done that, post a log in the HijackThis Logs and Analysis Forum, not here, for assistance by the HJT Team Experts.

It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are very busy. Please be patient as they are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have no replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response, a team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Rebeldawn

Rebeldawn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2006 - 02:52 PM

Thank you Charles for getting back to me, I will try that tutorial you mentioned as soon as I can, I appreciate you getting back to me so soon, Its quite amazing the trojan products out there and the ones I have paid for are completely useless for this particular trojan, hopefully one day they will make a program that will clean everything LOL yeah I know wishful thinking, anyways you people at bleeping computer have me hooked, am very glad there is people out there like you who help people like me deal with these problems, you have saved loads of money already because I was thinking about trashing this computer lol

thx so much Rob P

#5 rookie147

rookie147

• Members
  • 5,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 10 June 2006 - 02:56 PM

It's our pleasure Rob, these are the kind of comments that keep us helping people like you. Even when your problem's solved, stick around, this is a great user community.
Let us know how you get on, and i wish you good luck.. :thumbsup:
Charles

If you are pleased with the service I have offered, you may like to consider making a donation. Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 Rebeldawn

Rebeldawn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2006 - 02:56 PM

thx quietman7 I will for sure try that, I do have another question, what does this virus do like if I am running ghost surf with all my protections on, I shut off avg cause the virus keeps popping up in the middle of my screen, will that at the very least prevent personal information being lifted or passwords etc... ? The reason I ask this Is that I may not get to all of it tonight as I go back to work tomm for 6 days then back, my wife wants to know If she uses the computer will this particular virus cause her grief. If I dont get back to you people, please dont think I am ignoring, am just out on the road, thx again Rob

Edited by Rebeldawn, 10 June 2006 - 03:03 PM.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 10 June 2006 - 08:54 PM

Haxdoor family is a group of backdoor trojans that allow a remote attacker to gain access and control the computer. Haxdoor is also used to download additional malware. There are numerous haxdoor variants as shown here: http://users.pandora.be/marcvn/spyware/1541877.htm

Info on the haxdoor family can be found here:
http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/haxdoor.shtml
http://research.sunbelt-software.com/threa...&threatid=44159
http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusin...s.aspx?id=39003

It's not good to leave this on your system for any length of time.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users