Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

End of line - maybe its the mobo?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 np00444

np00444

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 26 September 2014 - 06:53 PM

BACKSTORY:

I bought a CPU + mobo combo from my roommate. They worked before he gave them to me, i've seen it!

Asus M4A89td Pro usb 3.0 and AMD Phenom ii x6 1090t

I originally got them and built a new computer around them. The Power supply i Used is 600W.

Graphics card: Radeon 8700

RAM: Corsair vengeance 16gb

The Story:

Boot it up for the first time, started downloading drivers and normal programs as usual. Drivers for graphics card, and the chipset, audio. 

After upgrading the audio and chipset drivers, the computer started freezing within the first few minutes of booting to windows. Strange..definitely a driver problem, right?

I tried uninstalling the drivers I just put on. But it keeps freezing. I try restarting, but a black screen is all that is shown for minutes on end. Eventually it gives me an error to go off of.

It said something like "cannot overclock, press F1 to enter setup and restore defaults" or something along those lines. My roommate nor I have ever tried to overclock. The mobo is going haywire. I googled that line and everybody was saying its my BIOS that is my problem. This made sense because I thought I bleeped up my mobo drivers. They said I could replace the BIOS chip and it might fix the problem because clearing CMOS did nothing.

I replaced the BIOS chip today, and now its even worse. The DRAM LED on my motherboard stays a solid red, or blinks now. It never boots up, no POST, nothing. The LEDs and fans work. No picture from the graphics card, or onboard video. I do not get video from onboard even without a graphics card connected.

I was so careful with it to not damage it with static electricity. I think I messed it up when I was updating the chipset drivers. But how can a motherboard become so useless and unresponsive from that? I'm trying every piece of advice I'm given and nothing is working. It keeps decaying it seems, am I breaking it? Is it failing by itself? Why can't i boot with it like I could before?!

Thank you for any input you may have! I sincerely appreciate it. 

-Neil

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,499 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 26 September 2014 - 09:47 PM

Are you using a hd that had Windows on it from another system? You typically need to reinstall windows changing all the core hardware components like that.

#3 np00444

np00444
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 27 September 2014 - 03:19 AM

Hard drive or no hard drive it's just a black screen. Shouldn't I be able to see at Bios at least?

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,499 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 28 September 2014 - 10:03 PM

In that case yes you should have video. This would mean you need to recheck the video card and see if it's seated properly in the slot. Also, the video card may need extra power. Some cards need one or two 4 or 6 pin power cables plugged into them. See if the fans are blowing on the GPU when you power it on. There is also a 4 or 6 pin connector that plugs into the board as well near the CPU. This must also be plugged in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users