Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Googlebar vs. Google Toolbar

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Codaeus

Codaeus

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 26 September 2014 - 04:41 PM

Most security and privacy blogs consider the Google Toolbar a threat or one sort or another, but what about the 'Googlebar' in Firefox...is it okay, or equally nasty?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,732 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 26 September 2014 - 04:53 PM

Where is this 'Googlebar' you speak of in Firefox? Are you referring to the built in search bar that you can change search engines of? If you click on the icon you can change it to another search engine.

This is not the same thing as a 'Google Tool Bar'. This is a functional component of the Firefox browser. You can't remove or uninstall it. Only change the search engine. You can uninstall a tool bar.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 26 September 2014 - 06:54 PM

Google Search bar in Firefox

Also when searching for info about toolbars on the Internet, it is not unusual to find numerous hits from untrustworthy and scam sites which mis-classify detections or provide misleading information. This is deliberately done more as a scam to entice folks into buying an advertised fix or removal tool. In some cases if the fix is a free download, users may be enticed to download a malicious file or be redirected to a malicious web site. In other cases you are referred to contact the site's Tech Support for assistance which is only provided for a fee.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Codaeus

Codaeus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2014 - 03:50 PM

Where is this 'Googlebar' you speak of in Firefox? Are you referring to the built in search bar that you can change search engines of? If you click on the icon you can change it to another search engine.

This is not the same thing as a 'Google Tool Bar'. This is a functional component of the Firefox browser. You can't remove or uninstall it. Only change the search engine. You can uninstall a tool bar.

I am aware that these two are somewhat different critters, which is why the title is "vs" rather than "and". As for "Where is this Googlebar'":

http://googlebar.mozdev.org/

that should explain it. I am aware that you can change it to Yahoo, Bing, or even add your own choice (mine would be Ixquick). I am also aware that it can (apparently) be removed:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/search-bar-add-change-manage-search-engines-firefox#w_remove-a-search-engine

...so in this regard, it does not differ from the Google Toolbar, other than it seems much easier to nuke the Googlebar than get rid of the actual Toolbar. What I am not aware of is whether or not I need to treat the Googlebar like the Google Toolbar, and nuke it. My question was does the Googlebar carry the same privacy and security issues that the Google Toolbar is (in)famous for?

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,117 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2014 - 04:33 PM

Googlebar project is not affiliated with Google and the last release was in 2006 for Firefox 2.0.

The current Firefox version is 32.03 (Australis).

The Google Toolbar is a browser toolbar which allows you to do more than search.

#6 Codaeus

Codaeus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2014 - 07:36 PM

Googlebar project is not affiliated with Google and the last release was in 2006 for Firefox 2.0.

The current Firefox version is 32.03 (Australis).

The Google Toolbar is a browser toolbar which allows you to do more than search.

My apology to all--I had two mistakes before. Firstly in nomenclature. This thing is called the "Search bar" as in my previous link:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/search-bar-add-change-manage-search-engines-firefox#w_remove-a-search-engine

,and I now see its quite different from the Googlebar,as shown in my other link:

http://googlebar.mozdev.org/

So I will try this question again, and hopefully get it worded right this time! Most security and privacy blogs consider the Google Toolbar a threat of one sort or another, but what about the Google 'Search bar' in Firefox...is it okay, or equally nasty? Does it have the same privacy threats as the Google Toolbar? If so, do I need to remove it from the Firefox 'Search bar', or will simply not using it render it harmless?

Edited by Codaeus, 28 October 2014 - 07:37 PM.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,117 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2014 - 07:54 PM

You can perform web searches right from the address bar. Just type in your search terms and hit Enter. Firefox will take you to your default search engine results page.

Search the web from the Address Bar
Using the Search Bar

The Search bar is conveniently located on your toolbar and on the new tab page. It lets you use various search engines without having to load their websites. To search, just type your terms into the Search bar, press Enter and Firefox will take you to the search results page.

2014-07-30-17-34-10-06a943.png

#8 kaylagarcia

kaylagarcia

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 29 October 2014 - 12:45 AM

Actually I could not find that googlebar have privacy and security issue, whereas google toolbar helps to block or allow pop-ups when using internet explorer or other browser.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,117 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2014 - 05:10 AM

Google Toolbar, only available for Internet Explorer, is often distributed through bundling with other free software you download which is why it may be detected as a Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users