Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

SSD Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Chuck racer_*

Guest_Chuck racer_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 26 September 2014 - 03:44 PM

First of all my computer skills are just average. I got Windows 8  64 bit laptop. With an SSD hard drive. I researched it a lot. To my understanding never run a disk defragmenter on an SSD. I get that very well, and don't. Is there something I need to do on a SSD? Or just leave it be. Thanks, Chuck

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 8 to the more appropriate forum.~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2014 - 05:52 PM

Hi,

Be kind to it, keep it cool and dry and it should serve you well for a long time.

Stay well and surf safe

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 27 September 2014 - 02:02 AM

What kind of drive is it (brand). There are usually software tools that come with the computer for the drive or that you can download from the manufacturer that can give you some additional options to optimize performance and basic maintenance. 

My Samsung EVO 840 pro (1TB SSD) has great options to increase performance, automatically update firmware and performance tuners.

Gavin Seabrook

#4 Guest_Chuck racer_*

Guest_Chuck racer_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 September 2014 - 07:40 AM

What kind of drive is it (brand). There are usually software tools that come with the computer for the drive or that you can download from the manufacturer that can give you some additional options to optimize performance and basic maintenance. 

My Samsung EVO 840 pro (1TB SSD) has great options to increase performance, automatically update firmware and performance tuners.

My computer skills are just average. I have Speccy and according to it ( Sata SSD ) it was already in this computer when I got it around 5 to 6 months ago. I have Acer Aspire Windows 8  64  bit S3-391 laptop is there an alternative to defrag on SSD? Or should I not do anything? Thanks, Chuck

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,401 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 27 September 2014 - 01:02 PM

Do NOT defrag any SSD...why are you stuck on that question?

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/f9b19a5e-a072-4d00-a1ba-147965b01580/optimisation-solid-state-drives?forum=w8itprogeneral

Defragging isn't even the most important basic maintenance task, running the chkdsk /r command is far more useful.

http://superuser.com/questions/661242/check-disk-on-ssd

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/run-chkdsk-on-ssd-794490.html

FWIW:  I have both of my O/Ses on a SSD...I run chkdsk /r routinely on each, I see no negative impact at all.

Louis

#6 Guest_Chuck racer_*

Guest_Chuck racer_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 September 2014 - 02:30 PM

First of all my computer skills are just average. I got Windows 8  64 bit laptop. With an SSD hard drive. I researched it a lot. To my understanding never run a disk defragmenter on an SSD. I get that very well, and don't. Is there something I need to do on a SSD? Or just leave it be. Thanks, Chuck

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 8 to the more appropriate forum.~ Animal

This is solved

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users