Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Seagate Backup Plus 1TB Drive Blinking But Not Recognized

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dannd

dannd

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 26 September 2014 - 03:16 PM

Hello,

I have been researching a solution all morning to a problem Im having to get my computer to recognize my external harddrive that just decided to fail on me during a computer freeze and a hard restart. I have been using this drive for storing work photos on directly (as I had a similar problem happen where windows wouldnt start and had to reformat I felt it more smart just to just work from the external harddrive then updating it constantly - which may have lead to this problem). Now when I plug the drive into the USB it makes a quiet fast paced beeping sound like its trying to load then after about 30 seconds the white light comes on and starts to blink but nothing is recognized. I have tried to get it to work on both my computers, one running Linux mint and the other Windows 7 with the same results. I have also tried some of Seagates backup tools (and a couple others) but it doesnt even recognize the drive at all. I have also followed Seagates 'solution' they list for when the light is blinking which doesnt work. Im really afraid the drive is dead and thousands of hours of work photos have been lost among other important files (do I really need to backup my backup drive??). It is under warranty until January but I dont think I should have to pay to have them recover my files if its a defective product. Please if anyone can let me know if I should keep trying to figure this out or stop wasting my time if it sounds dead and send it in for a replacement. Thanks for your time & answers.

Daniel

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 26 September 2014 - 04:00 PM

...do I really need to backup my backup drive??

What do you mean by that??

#3 dannd

dannd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2014 - 05:38 PM

It was just a side comment about the futility of a back up drive that crashes and you lose your backup.

PS: Since I posted this I have also tried a USB hub hoping it may be a power supply problem, which also didnt work.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,942 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2014 - 06:10 PM

Download Seatools for Windows and do a test to determine the health of the drive first.

SeaTools for Windows User Guide

#5 Frozwire

Frozwire

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 27 September 2014 - 12:39 AM

That might just be a possible enclosure problem and your data might still be intact in the hard drive. You can try what was suggested above by @JohnC_21 though.

Edited by Frozwire, 27 September 2014 - 12:40 AM.

"Encryption...is a powerful defensive weapon for free people. It offers a technical guarantee of privacy, regardless of who is running the government... It's hard to think of a more powerful, less dangerous tool for liberty...” - Esther Dyson

#6 dannd

dannd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2014 - 01:26 PM

Unfortunately the drive isn't even recognized by Seagate Tools.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,942 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2014 - 01:54 PM

Frozwire had a good point. I don't know if this is the portable version or the larger version as shown in the link below. It may be the USB interface board that is bad. You can try disassembling the drive and attaching it to another computer using the SATA interface or use another external enclosure. A USB IDE/SATA adapter can also be used. From the video here (3:28) it looks like you can try another USB interface in the portable version by unplugging and replacing with another. $20 You could remove the module and use the USB IDE/SATA adapter I linked to that would do the same thing.

Here is a video on how to disassemble the larger backup plus drive if you want to connect to another computer or use another external enclosure.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users