Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Playback/Recording Window Opens Slow

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 guitarguy93

guitarguy93

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 26 September 2014 - 01:24 PM

Hey,guys. I'm having some trouble with my sound devices. When I right-click the volume icon in the notification area and click on the playback or recording devices option, the window (sometimes) opens very slowly. I ran a virus scan and it found nothing. I've tried disabling devices that I don't use, and that didn't help. I checked my CPU/RAM usage when the problem occurs, and it's no higher than it normally is. I've also checked drivers on all my devices and even the BIOS with no avail. Not to mention that it doesn't change automatically when I plug/unplug devices in.

This wouldn't be so much of a problem to me, but I use this computer for a lot of music production and changing sound devices is something that I do quite often. Having this window open so slowly is pretty counter-productive.

I've done some looking around and it seems that this is somewhat of a common problem, but I've yet to find a solution. Any help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 26 September 2014 - 05:44 PM

Hi,

What security software is installed and is it current? Have you run any scans? If so, what were the results? When was the last time you deleted all of your temp files - cleaned up your browsers?

I'm guessing that is a new problem, not one that has been present for a long tikme and just getting worse.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 guitarguy93

guitarguy93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2014 - 11:56 PM

No, it's actually occurred pretty frequently for a while now. I've just ignored it. It's annoying, but I didn't think too much of it. It's also not really getting any worse, but obviously not better.

Anyway, I run Panda Internet Security 2014, and it's current. I actually did a scan earlier today and it came back with nothing. I also run CCleaner weekly to keep temp files to a minimum.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,866 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2014 - 05:41 AM

I would do 3 things:

a.  Uninstall...reinstall the audio drivers.

b.  Run chkdsk /r command on the Windows partition, Chkdsk From Command Prompt, Win 7 - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/496613/contextmenu-is-causing-explorerexe-to-crash/?p=3067880 .

c.  Run the sfc /scannow command to check for damaged system files, SFC -SCANNOW Run in Command Prompt at Boot - Windows 7 Forums - http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/139810-sfc-scannow-run-command-prompt-boot.html .

Louis

#5 guitarguy93

guitarguy93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:36 PM

I ran chkdsk /r, but I fell asleep in the process. Was there anything I was supposed to see or was it automatic? Also, without having a disk drive, I originally installed Win 7 via the ISO tool on a USB key. For some reason, I can't get that to work anymore. I've tried a multitude of different options, but nothing has worked.

#6 guitarguy93

guitarguy93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2014 - 10:59 AM

Well, I'm not sure what the chkdsk command did, but I haven't gotten the problem since. I'll let you know if it happens again.

EDIT: I think what I did to install Windows was running the tool on a different computer with my DVD and then installing it on this computer. Might be why I couldn't get it to work. What I ended up trying to do was run it with an iso I had downloaded from Microsoft's website.

Edited by guitarguy93, 30 September 2014 - 11:01 AM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,866 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2014 - 01:13 PM

:thumbup2: , all's well that ends well :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users