Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Updated from XP to what Window?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Izabela

Izabela

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 26 September 2014 - 01:23 PM

Hello everyone?
 I have a still XP running in my computer,and perhaps because of that I'm encountering some problems..I wonder what Window should I install on it..I'm not computer knowledgable,so I'm looking for some guidance..please.

Edit: Moved topic from Windows Server to the more appropriate forum.~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 27 September 2014 - 02:26 AM

Topic needs to be moved to different section. 

Possibly upgrade to Windows 7, but it depends on your system's specifications.

Gavin Seabrook

#3 Izabela

Izabela
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2014 - 03:43 PM

Thanks for your advice..I found out that I can install windows 8 in my laptop,I will need some guidance to do so, when I buy it,

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 27 September 2014 - 04:43 PM

I personally would not think that Windows 8 is an O/S that anyone would want for future use.

Do a Google and find out why Windows 8 has already been put in the trash pile at Microsoft, while Win 7 is the Windows O/S of choice right now by users.

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/windows-7-vs-windows-8-1-which-is-the-better-os--1266403

Windows 9 News

Louis

#5 Izabela

Izabela
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2014 - 05:30 PM

Thanks,I will google about it?do you think installiing Linux will do ?

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 27 September 2014 - 06:17 PM

Since nobody else has said it - welcome to BC !

If your computer will run XP then as a general rule it will run Linux without any problems. However you should be aware that many Windows programs will not run natively in Linux although there are many programs which have Linux equivalents and there are ways of getting programs written for Windows to run in Linux. As far as Linux goes, I suggest you have a look around the Linux section of BC - there is a wealth of advice there.

I suspect that the problems you are having with your current installation of XP are not due directly to its age nor to the fact that it is no longer supported. XP is a well proven and reliable operating system. You might want to post back with a description of the problems you are having to see if they can be sorted short of a new operating system.

Having said that, XP is officially obsolete and a move to a newer OS is a good idea.

Chris Cosgrove

#7 Izabela

Izabela
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2014 - 06:27 PM

I want to update my pc from xp to any other system that is safe..I have already checked and I know I can install Windows 8,but I got some advice saying that W8 is not that good,hence my thought of installing Linux..but I guess I have to do more research..

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:13 PM

Win 8.1 is a much more friendly system for those of us with mice (or track pads) and real keyboards than Win 8 was. It is also a pretty good OS under the bonnet.

Yes, particularly for anyone moving from XP, there is a learning process but it is not that difficult to get to grips with, and most of your applications will run in 8.1. You may need to get more recent versions if some of your software is particularly old. Then again, I keep an old laptop around because it has 32bit XP on it, and it will run - slowly - some truly ancient software I need from time to time.

Win 8.1 or Linux ?  I am not going to tell you which to choose, that is your decision. The vast bulk of my experience has been with various forms of Windows, but there are many adherents of Linux  - which comes in many different flavours or 'distributions' - who find it particularly user friendly once you get over the first shock. As I said in an earlier post, you really need to have a look at some of the opinions expressed in the Linux section, particularly with regard to which variant might suit your needs best.

The rumour mill says the Win 9 is due to be released some time this autumn, if you can it might be worth waiting to see some of the reviews when - or if - this happens. Otherwise your current choices, as other posters have pointed out, are Win 7, Win 8.1 or one or other Linux 'distro'. But yes, moving on from XP is a good idea.

Chris Cosgrove

#9 jimbotoo

jimbotoo

• Banned
  • 297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 01 October 2014 - 01:14 AM

I want to update my pc from xp to any other system that is safe..I have already checked and I know I can install Windows 8,but I got some advice saying that W8 is not that good,hence my thought of installing Linux..but I guess I have to do more research..

Hello Izabela  :hello:  welcome to the bleeping forum.

For many, windows 8 was the stand off between geekdom and normal humans who like their own content more then their hardware and the tricks it can do.

Window 8 was for this critic a de humanizing event, but the humans won, the angel in us said enought is enought.

problem with many computer folks is they don't know when to put their feet up and leave well enough alone, cause i think many don't know how to put there feet up, ..............................................................with a boss around who always wants something new to sell.

My first use of windows 8 caused flaming rage, cause it ran me, and not me it. it was more like watching a police flashing red light then something to chill with or a user controlled tool, or artistic device.

I am a little too busy developing myself to waste years learning new programs, that were mostly made to just be something mostly fashion instead of  need would push forward...and that almost always just do what old programs did but a different way and a more complicated way, new programs are like CD music, at first after you learn them you go gee that sounds great, but with the second glass of wine, you note treble that can't smooth it self out, there is no low warm bass and there is a little problem, no matter what you listen too ..............it all sounds like that same little band of muscians and singers called-

"the digital to analog converter group".--playing different stuff

When folks can't make a computer work like your brain, they try to make you work like a computer

Windows 8, .......................tried to throw my mind away.

I mostly use a computer to get away from computers, I enjoy classic art I can't afford, restore my self and in some ways have a better copy of that art then that which hangs in a gallery i will never get to in france, music videos of artist who are timeless, poetry that helps me love myself and others better, wisdom I could never write my self.

and write letters that i put in the mail, that my friends adore me  for sending, giving them a quiet slow space to see life from, away from their cell phones and computers :notanangel:

Kurt Vonnegut said "it's not a matter of is a new program better, it's a matter of are you better"

since computers are often not able to make us better, calmer, more reasured and loving, better had to be forgotten and exchanged for "excited" and exciting can get tirering if your own personal content can not be made better by a new computer program.

I love the art on my flat screen, I love my slow music collection or velvet underground videos, I love to talk to folks around the world, they often teach me things, make me better, there's tons about me that could be better,  but since XP, all those beautiful things have not gotton one bit better.

my sugestion is if you have the money, go buy a windows 8 computer that got sold by contract with windows 8 in it, you can get a nice 800.00 computer, that is being given away by places like best buys, cause it has to go out the door with windows 8 in it and no body wants 8 so you can get one like my girlfriend did with a big huge screen for 200.00 bucks, .......in short they dumped it.

THEN Install free from the net site, "classic shell" that will replace the user screen program with some thing very close to xp, very human table of contents start button, you will be right at home again mostly but have a hi end grade computer for 200.00 with a table of contents start button

Table of contents being the second most important invention after the first most important invention-the book.

BUT---connect it to a power strip and turn off the computer then turn the power strip off, cause windows 8 never shuts down and your hard drive will burn out in a year or 2, cause to make 8 fast they never turn the hard drive off, but you can at the power strip

You see "new and exciting' also means its like a cheap light bulb and burns out fast so they can sell you another computer, cause they want "new and exciting money"

Feel the love from them  :scratchhead:

Do enjoy the following 2 links,  they  will tell you more about windows eight, your mind and heart, and no matter what you buy you will be better and more knowlegable..

jimbotoo :hello:

PS SORRY spell check shuts down when i use this site, no one seems to know why.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTYet-qf1jo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri4_CW9P41s

Edited by jimbotoo, 01 October 2014 - 01:54 AM.

#10 Izabela

Izabela
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 10:37 AM

Thanks dear for all the information,and advices I will bear in mind.I let you know .okay!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users