Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

downgrading from win8 to win7

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 mystic12

mystic12

• Members
  • 1,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 26 September 2014 - 11:48 AM

Asus X502 laptop came with win8 but having some problems so I am trying to load win7 but it's not accepting the win7 disks, if I change the HDD would this load win 7?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,713 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 26 September 2014 - 12:03 PM

You can't install a earlier version of Windows over a newer version.  You would have to wipe the hdd before installing an earlier version.

You can find a good tutorial for installing Windows 7 at Windows Seven Forums.

You will need a program like Darik's Boot and Nuke to overwrite the hdd.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,563 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2014 - 12:08 PM

Well, if I change the HDD then shouldn't that work?

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2014 - 12:17 PM

Well, if I change the HDD then shouldn't that work?

Hi

As dc3 has said either wipe the drive or as You asked a new hard drive would be the same as wiping your old drive.

It should work and it will leave You with a working Windows 8, Which is actually a nice operating System. I just added Classic Shell to it and it looks and works like Windows 7 with some improvements.

I would prefer the new drive method just in case You have functionality or driver issues with the older Windows. I use Windows 8 all the time and with classic shell I see no reason to downgrade to Windows 7. In Fact 95% of my computer use is on the Windows 8 system.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2014 - 12:22 PM

I also think you should stay with 8 and add in a 3rd party app that makes it look and function like 7, but that aside, please explain what you mean when you say that it won't "accept the win 7 discs".

Do you mean that you're unable to boot from them?

If so, it's just a matter of a few settings in the BIOS.

All is well in Paradise.

#6 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,563 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2014 - 12:27 PM

This laptop does not come with with a dvd drive, I tired loading the win7 disk from external USB via the Reset Your PC option and it shows "The media you inserted is not valid. Try again. In the BIOS the only boot option I am seeing is the HDD

#7 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2014 - 12:35 PM

That definitely will not work, as the computer will only accept a USB drive that was made on the Windows 8 machine, as a recovery drive.

You would have to go to PC Settings, and go into your recovery options to get into the BIOS (they call it UEFI) and from there, disable the secure boot, fast boot too if there is one, and if there is an option for Legacy, check mark it too, then change the boot order to boot up from your USB drive and it will work.

Bear in mind that you'll be getting into uncharted waters and you might run into some problems with drivers in 7, if the machine was designed for Windows 8.

I'll mention it one last time, that you'd be better off to stay in 8, or refresh the system in 8, add in an app like Start Menu 8 or classic shell to get the start button and menu back, and then you'll be in business.

All is well in Paradise.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,713 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2014 - 12:38 PM

If you have Secure Boot enabled in the BIOS you will need to set it to the Legacy setting.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,563 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2014 - 01:04 PM

Problem will be in order to stay with with win8 I would need to know exactly which version of win 8 was on there or can load any version of a retail win8?

#10 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2014 - 01:14 PM

All you need to do is to go into your recovery and do a fresh OEM install (save your data first) and whichever system it came with, will be what gets installed.

If it turns out to be 8, when your finished, you'll need to go to the app store to get 8.1.

All is well in Paradise.

#11 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,563 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2014 - 01:40 PM

doesn't 8.1 have different versions? If yes, then will any of them work or will I need to know the exact version which was installed on this unit?

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,713 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2014 - 01:47 PM

In Windows 8, which is what came installed on this computer, the installation partitions will have the proper version.  If you use a installation disc to install Windows 8 the product key will determine which version is recognized.  The Windows 8 installation disc has all of the versions (Home premium, Pro., etc.), the product key will determine which version will be installed.  The only difference is whether it is a 43-bit or a 64-bit version, it must be the same as what you have installed.

Using the recovery partition to reinstall the operating system is the best way to go.  You will get the version you need and will not need to download all the drivers.

#13 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,563 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2014 - 01:53 PM

I tried the recovery, did not work. So would this software here have all the version mentioned?

http://softwaresupplysource.com/windows8pro_012.php

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,713 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2014 - 02:10 PM

You can download a ISO image of Windows 8 Pro, 32-bit or 64-bit, here.

You can use one of the methods to burn the ISO image to a DVD to create a bootable installation disc.

Notice:  This applies only to Windows 7 and Windows 8, earlier versions do not have this.

1.  Place a blank CD or DVD in the tray of your optical drive and close the tray.

2.  After you have downloaded the ISO image you want to burn right click on the Start orb, then choose Windows Explorer.

3.  When Explorer opens click on Downloads in the left pane.  Scroll down till you find the ISO file you want and double click on it.  Click on Burn Disk Image.

4.  In the image below you will see Disk burner:, this should be set to the optical drive you want to use.  Click on Verify disc after burning if you want to Windows to verity the disc image after burn.  Click on burn.

burndiskimage1_zpsb502b181.png

5.  In the image below you can see that the green progress bar, when the image is finished burning the bar will be filled.

burndiskimage2_zps17a9d6ff.png

6.  After the image has completed being burned click on Close

Burning a ISO file to a CD or DVD with ImgBurn

To burn a ISO file to a CD or DVD with a computer with Windows Vista or earlier, please downlaod ImgBurn and install it.

Insert blank CD or DVD into your CD/DVD drive.

Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc.

ImgBurn1_zps715cb1c2.png

Click on the Browse for a file icon:

ImgBurn2_zpsaea72ba9.png

Locate the ISO file you want to burn, and click on the Open button.

Click on the blue arrow to start burning the bootable CD.

imageburn11_zpse44f577b.png

Edited by dc3, 26 September 2014 - 02:10 PM.

#15 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,563 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2014 - 02:23 PM

Thanks but will that windows 8 pro download have all 32 and 64 bit versions?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users