Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MS Word file locked and in use by {me}

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 26 September 2014 - 09:26 AM

Hola.

Helping a friend with a donated (by her Church) laptop.

It's an old Dell Latitude D630 running Windows 7 with (forgot to confirm this...d'oh) what I believe is MS Word 2010.

Since the laptop is donated I don't know too much about it at this point and am in the process of cleaning it up.

The issue she's having is that every time she creates a new document in MS Word and then opens it up again later, she's being greeted with this:

92514.png

I deleted out her name, but that is what follows the "for editing by".

This laptop is not part of any Server or Network but I'm guessing that it was (?) at one time.

My first step, based on the old Google search, is to delete all her Temp files and see if this remedies it but wanted to toss it out there and ask if there was anything else I should be looking at or for.

I'll be using the Temp File Cleaner (here from Bleeping) to clean out the old temp files. Still not up to speed on using the CCleaner app to do that, so while TFC isn't the smoothest of apps, I know how it works.

I also wanted to post that at the top of another Word document, I also saw this:

92514v2.png

Which is what led me to believe that this may have been set up to be part of a Server Network (not even sure if that is the correct term or phrase...) at one time.

So there you go.

No crisis and certainly not anything that needs immediate attention but if you've seen this and/or know of a resolve, please let me know.

There's a lot of laundry & housecleaning to do, so I'll be popping in and out all day and weekend.

Thank you.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 kaz20

kaz20

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 26 September 2014 - 10:34 AM

see if disabling any add-ins will help.

#3 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 26 September 2014 - 11:32 AM

Hello there kaz20 and thanks for checking in.

I went ahead and cleaned up her machine by running that Temp File Cleaner and it appears that that was the culprit, so thankfully, this issue is [SOLVED].

:bananas:

onward,

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users