Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Card Disappearing?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 detheagle666

detheagle666

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 25 September 2014 - 09:38 PM

i have an Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2200 internal wireless card on my laptop, which is a Lenovo Z580 running 64-bit Windows 7.  I've sent this laptop back to the manufacturer twice to fix a physical HDD problem (which they eventually got right -_-), and to fix this problem here: my wifi card is somehow screwed completely.  it will run for anywhere between 2 minutes to an hour or so, and then suddenly it losses all connectivity to everything, but leaves my with "limited access" to what ever router i was connected to, or so it says. in reality, it just completely loses all connections, like the radio switch was turned off, and to get it back, i used to have 2 options: restart the computer, or disable then re-enable the card.  the later option used to bluescreen me, and then freeze the bluescreen, but that is fixed.  so was the card, for about a week.  now it simply disappears from the device manager, in such a way that reinstalling the drivers doesn't work because i apparently don't have a wifi card to install drivers for.  so currently, im plugged straight to the router with an ethernet cord. if anyone can help me figure out what the hell is going on, that would be awesome, especially if they could help me fix this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,659 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 25 September 2014 - 09:53 PM

Sometimes Intel wireless drivers can get wonky and need to be reinstalled. You want the following driver. Second from the top.

Wireless_16.11.0_Ds64.exe

#3 detheagle666

detheagle666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2014 - 09:57 PM

alright thank you ill see if that works.  shouldn't take to long, no more than a few hours if this doesn't work.  fingers crossed though

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,659 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2014 - 10:00 PM

I will be gone until tomorrow but I will check back and see how it goes.

#5 detheagle666

detheagle666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2014 - 08:35 PM

unfortunately, that did not work, and i am still stymied on how to fix it. could it be the card or the wires connecting it to whatever it connects too? i'd check myself but my the insides are a total maze and i really don't want to screw with it

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,659 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2014 - 10:11 PM

It could very well be a hardware problem. It's possible it could be something unrelated to the wireless card itself. To narrow down the problem to hardware or software you could download and burn the iso of a small linux distro like Puppy. You can download 5.7. After booting to the desktop you will get a wireless wizard that will walk you through connecting to teh internet. If the problem still occurs you can do the following.

If you should decide to remove the card and reseat it along with the antenna wires here is the service manual for the computer.

Another option would be to disable the wireless adapter in Device Manager and purchase a USB wireless adapter like this.

#7 detheagle666

detheagle666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2014 - 10:54 PM

alright thank you very much.  i'll get working on that, i never thought to try another operating system lol.  though im not to sure about the whole "runs on RAM only," thing.  i probably won't need to go to option 3, at least until i get sufficiently irritated about how ungodly slow centurylink is over ethernet, unless they get their act together -_-  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users