Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Free from Comcast?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 NotionCommotion

NotionCommotion

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 25 September 2014 - 07:14 PM

Current scenario:

• Internet from Comcast.  I used to have a dedicated Comcast modem, but they "upgraded" me to an integral modem/router.  Probably works great for others, but issues for me as I have several networked servers.
  • Phone from Comcast.  Plugs into the above modem.
  • TV from Comcast.  Two separate Comcast TV modem.
  • $$$

My desires.

1. Step one.  Get rid of the integrated Comcast Modem/Router.  They no longer rent them so I will need to buy.  Recommended models?  Will it work for just Internet of phone also?  Note Step Two which might make the phone part no longer needed.
  2. Step two.  Phone by Ooma.  I assume it will work with above modem, right?  I have a new Netgear Nighthawk router.
  3. Step three.  Get my wife to agree on Internet TV.  Probably will never happen.
  4. Step four.  Consider Frontier who recently brought fiber to our home.  Depends on step three.  Obviously my Step 1 modem won't work, but that is okay.

Any recommendations?

Edited by hamluis, 25 September 2014 - 08:39 PM.
Moved from Networking to ISPs - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 25 September 2014 - 08:41 PM

Who told you they no longer rent plain modems? You were likely told that because they are really trying to push the combo units.

They do still have regular non-gateway modems, but you have to insist on getting one and making it very clear you do NOT want the gateway unit.

You will need an eMTA modem if you continue to use Comcast phone service. At one time the only place that sold those modems was Best Buy. I don't know if they still sell them. You would also have to make sure your local area allows customer owned eMTA modems. You wouldn't be able to buy just any eMTA. Unfortunately I don't know exactly which model you would have to purchase.

Before you purchase one (if you can find it)

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/phone/requirements-for-digital-voice-modems/

We do not guarantee the compatibility of XFINITY Voice with any other service, system or equipment, including customer-supplied eMTAs. If there is an incompatibility, remedies are limited to those described in the XFINITY Voice Subscriber Agreement.

(the link for Subscriber Agreement does not go to the agreement)

There is also an alternative. Have the gateway unit put into bridge mode. You will have to call Comcast for that and if you are lucky will get someone who knows how to do it. This will allow you to use your own router.

If you want to get just the modem unit and they keep telling you they no longer supply them ask about it in the Comcast help forum. I recall seeing a there recently post with the same user name as here.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 25 September 2014 - 08:44 PM.

#3 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 26 September 2014 - 01:01 AM

Here I found these Comcast approved telephony modems. Some new some used. You shouldn't have an issue provisioning them. The more expensive ones are new not used and usually have a battery. They are Docsis 3.0 and 8x4 Downstream & upstream bonding, so they are good all the way up to the 105mbit speeds Comcast offers. A Few links to give you an idea what you're looking for. All I could find was the Arris modems. Good luck to you!

Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Arris-TM822G-Touchstone%C2%AE-Ultra-High-Telephony/dp/B00721TUNS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1411710202&sr=8-2&keywords=arris+tm722g

http://www.amazon.com/Arris-Xfinity-Internet-Bpb044h-Battery/dp/B00A2V0XRC/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1411710202&sr=8-5&keywords=arris+tm722g

Ebay.com

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/151359108907?lpid=82

#4 NotionCommotion

NotionCommotion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2014 - 05:27 AM

Who told you they no longer rent plain modems? You were likely told that because they are really trying to push the combo units.

There is also an alternative. Have the gateway unit put into bridge mode. You will have to call Comcast for that and if you are lucky will get someone who knows how to do it. This will allow you to use your own router.

If you want to get just the modem unit and they keep telling you they no longer supply them ask about it in the Comcast help forum. I recall seeing a there recently post with the same user name as here.

Various people when I called Comcast told me they didn't have them.  A couple said maybe they still could get them, but they weren't sure.

In regards to bridge mode, after an hour on the phone, the I found someone who could do it for me.  I turned off power in my house to do so work, and when the router came back, it no longer was bridged (or maybe was but didn't work, and when Comcast got it working, it was no longer bridged).  Talked an hour each with two other Comcast techs, and neither could get it bridged.

For the record, the various Comcast techs I talked to were professional and courteous, and I have nothing bad to say about them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users