Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File names on my backup drive too long to delete

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Arlothia

Arlothia

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 25 September 2014 - 06:57 PM

Hi all!

So I have a Seagate Backup Plus external hard drive and it was getting very full (it was keeping EVERYTHING it backed up instead of copying over older backups) so I decided to delete everything and start over. The only problem is that there are a bunch of files with names too long to delete.

When I click on the file and press 'Delete' (I have to press the delete button on my keyboard because that option does not appear in the right-click drop-down list), I get a window that says:

"The file name(s) would be too long for the destination folder. You can shorten the file name and try again, or try a location that has a shorter path."

I've had this problem before when I've tried deleting or moving something on my Local Disc and I've just shortened the name and everything went fine after that. But I cannot change the names of these files. And even if I could, there are over 2,000 files I would have to take care of individually.

Is there another way I can delete those files? How do I find a "location that has a shorter path?"

Thanks for your help,

Arlothia

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 25 September 2014 - 07:18 PM

Solution seems simple, IMO...uninstall the software for said drive.

Deleted files don't go into any folder...unless you are using the Recycle Bin.  You might try the direct delete option for the Recycle Bin.

Louis

#3 Arlothia

Arlothia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2014 - 07:21 PM

I hadn't thought about uninstalling the software. And when I install it again the files wouldn't be there anymore, right?

I am using the Recycle Bin and am unaware of the direct delete option. What is that and how do I use it?

Thanks!

A

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,855 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 25 September 2014 - 07:29 PM

You need to hold the shift button while selecting delete. The files will not go to the recycle bin. They will be deleted bypassing the recycle bin.

#5 Arlothia

Arlothia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2014 - 07:32 PM

Well, I just tried that and it still says the file name is too long for the destination folder.

I've put in an ask at the Seagate website about this and if they can't help then I guess it's time to uninstall it.

And I know this is a bit off topic, but because I don't want to deal with my backup drive getting this fill again, I was thinking about backing up some of my larger files on an online backup storage space, like the Cloud or whatever. Anyone got any suggestions for a FREE online storage space?

Thanks!

A

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,855 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2014 - 07:48 PM

In order to delete those files I would use a offline method using a small linux distro. Very Easy. Download Puppy linux 5.7 and burn the iso. In Windows 7 right click and select burn image. Boot Puppy and then attach your external drive. You will see a USB icon appear in the lower left of the desktop. Click on it and a File Manage will open. You can select files and delete. It should not have a problem deleting those. If you have Windows 8 you will have to disable Secure Boot.

For a free cloud service how many GB are you talking about. It is not free but Carbonite is good and the price for unlimited storage per year costs $60. It's been awhile since I booted Puppy. I know you can select multiple files by left clicking and dragging a box around the files. I believe there is also a select all option but I have to confirm that.

Edit: There is an option to right click inside a folder and select all or right click in the root of the external drive and select all but I would be very carefull doing that.

Edited by JohnC_21, 25 September 2014 - 08:01 PM.

#7 Arlothia

Arlothia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2014 - 10:24 PM

Thanks for the info. I'm going to hold off on Puppy for now. Someone from Seagate support just got back to me and apparently if I right click on the Seagate Drive > Format > Start, it will delete the entire disk. I'm just making sure I won't be ruining my backup drive! So if that doesn't seem like a good option I'll go for Puppy. One question, though: what does it mean to "burn the iso"? And I have Windows 7, just to let you know.

That's not a bad price for unlimited storage! If I can't find anything free that will work I'll definitely give that a look!

Thanks for all the info,

A

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,855 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2014 - 08:31 AM

A way to download an OS is with an iso file. It would be impractical to download thousands of files so the iso file is a container for these files and also has a boot record to make the disk bootable. Burning an iso is just taking that iso file and putting it onto a DVD or CD. This will take all the files from the iso container and place them in the correct locations on the disk.

#9 Arlothia

Arlothia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 10:17 AM

FIXED!! Thank you all for your help and suggestions, but turns out the Formatting option. I made sure it was safe and wouldn't mess anything up and now the drive is clean and empty and I'm rip, roaring, and ready to go!!

Thanks again so much!

A

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users