Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with win 7 install to SSD

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Beumac

Beumac

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 25 September 2014 - 06:15 PM

I know this topic is covered all over but I am unable to get anything to work so I thought I'd start a thread and see if anyone can help me.

I'm doing this for my boss, normally I don't have any issues doing simple things like this but this one has me stumped!

Intel 530 series SSD
HP pavilion HPE

I've tried what seems like a million things here but I'll explain the problem.

Problem-Unable to see the SSD in windows 7 installer

Friend wants a fresh install on this hard drive, that's it! 

Information
I have set the bios to AHCI
BIOS can see the Hard drive
I even installed the new SSD on my personal desktop, formatted the drive and was able to use it just fine.
While the SSD was in my desktop, I decided to run the windows 7 installer and it can see the drive JUST FINE! I did not attempt to install Windows to the drive though as I know different motherboards will cause problems.

What I need: Windows 7 to see this SSD so that I can install Windows 7!

Please help before my boss puts his boot up my behind! lol

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,840 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 25 September 2014 - 08:19 PM

What is the model number of the HPE? It should be an h8-XXXXX something

#3 Beumac

Beumac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2014 - 08:22 PM

h8-1234

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,840 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2014 - 09:41 PM

Download this file. Use a file archiver like Winrar to extract the files. There is a folder called /src inside the exe file. In this folder are three files prefixed with AHCI. Put these on a USB flash drive. When you get to the Windows Installer Windows that has the Load Driver Button click  it and point it to the USB flash drive. This should load the Storage Drivers and detect the drive.

4452.7.jpg

#5 Beumac

Beumac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2014 - 11:39 PM

Okay, I tried that.

I get this-No new devices could be found. Make sure the driver files are correct and located on the driver installation media.

No luck =( Thank you for the replies! I'm so desperate right now!!!

#6 Beumac

Beumac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2014 - 11:43 PM

It is also important to note that I am unable to get other old hard drives that I know work fine to show up either...

I don't know WHAT the deal is, I've never had so many issues. Win XP was easier than this!

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,840 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2014 - 08:22 AM

I believe this computer is UEFI. How did you get the Windows 7 Install disk to boot? As far as I know, a Windows 7 DVD will not boot unless UEFI is set to legacy. Did you disable SecureBoot and Fastboot if enabled?

I don't know if it would make a difference but if there is another drive connected to the MB disconnect that and attach the SATA cable to the port that drive was attached to.

Another way around the SATA driver problem is to boot the Windows 7 install disk and go through the System Recovery Steps until you are at the screen that has the add drivers button with the USB flash drive attached.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/668-system-recovery-options.html

See step 5

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/68942-sata-drivers-load-windows-recovery-options.html 

At the last screen - step 7-  X out of the window and see if it takes you to an install screen.

Edited by JohnC_21, 26 September 2014 - 08:23 AM.

#8 Beumac

Beumac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2014 - 10:20 AM

Hmmm

It's a USB drive, I'm just booting to it for the Windows installer.

I know secureboot is disabled...I'm not real sure atm if fast boot is enabled. I will check that shortly.

I have the drivers from your previous post on my USB drive. I've loaded them but no new devices pop up!

Also, fyi I have disconnected anything that is not necessary. This includes RAM, Hard drives and any optical drives. I'm only trying one Hard drive at a time right now as to not create other issues or confusion.

I will retry these steps that you posted soon even though I think I've done it. I'm desperate lol

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,840 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2014 - 12:05 PM

Okay, I can see if the install was on a USB that it can boot to a UEFI computer. If you can boot the USB flash drive, there is no need to disable Fastboot. You might want to try booting legacy mode but I am not sure if this would work. I can't understand why BIOS detects it yet Windows 7 does not. Have you tried different SATA ports on the motherboard? I am going to see if I can find a different Mass Storage Driver for that chipset.

Download the AMD chipset driver here. First on the page.

53 MB 14.4 4/25/2014  

You will need to extract it by double clicking the exe file. It will put an AMD folder on the root of your system drive. Then go to the following directory.

C:\AMD\Support\14-4-win7-win8-win8.1-32-64-sb\Packages\Drivers\SBDrv\SB7xx\AHCI\W764A  note: This is for the 64bit OS. I kind of jumped ahead of myself as I did not ask what version of Win7 you are using 32bit or 64bit.

There will be 7 files in the W764A You can put all but the msi file on the USB flash drive. See if these drivers work for you.

Edited by JohnC_21, 26 September 2014 - 12:37 PM.

#10 Beumac

Beumac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2014 - 12:40 PM

Would it help if I found an OEM copy of win 7 home premium for HP?

#11 Beumac

Beumac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2014 - 12:42 PM

Also, I don't think I can install AMD stuff on my intel?

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,840 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2014 - 12:47 PM

You are not installing it onto the intel drive. According to the specs of your computer you have an AMD processor and chipset. You could try the DVD. It couldn't hurt.

#13 Beumac

Beumac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2014 - 03:18 PM

No, I'm doing this for my boss. My personal computer is intel. Which is the computer I was able to format the drive and even pull up the installer and it recognized the SSD. Currently I can't get windows to see ANY drive, windows only. I can put ubuntu or any other os on it. Windows just won't flipping see the drive! =p

Hope that clears up some confusion

#14 Beumac

Beumac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2014 - 03:20 PM

Oh and to note...

He bought a new PSU a new SSD and a new graphics card but I'm still stuck on the SSD =/

Intel SSD 530 series

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,840 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2014 - 03:31 PM

If Ubuntu sees it and Windows does not then I would say the problem is with the storage drivers. Did you try using the drivers I linked to in my post #9?

One other thing you can try is partition and format the drive to ntfs with the bootable version of Partition Wizard. Once this is done see if the Windows Install disk will detect the drive. Sometimes Windows will detect a drive if it is already partitioned. But, in order to optimize the drive for SSD I would delete the existing partition that you made with Partition Wizard and let Windows partition and format the drive which would be optimized and aligned for the SSD.

See this guide. At step nine select Custom Install and then Drive Options advances as shown in step 10. In step 11 delete all partitions. Then select next. Windows 7 will partition and format the drive for you.

Edited by JohnC_21, 26 September 2014 - 05:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users