Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Have no audio after XP Pro install

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 helplessgeek

helplessgeek

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 25 September 2014 - 02:43 PM

Hi,

We had a hard drive crash on our XP Pro machine. So, after new hard drive and installing XP Pro again, things were going fine. But we have no audio. 

Here is some specs:

Asus M3A78-EM motherboard

Athlon 7750 CPU

2gb Ram

Realtek® ALC1200 8 -Channel High Definition Audio CODEC 

The Audio drivers are:

ATI Function Driver for High Definition Audio - ATI 791A, driver version 5.0.40001.10

Realtek High Definition Audio, driver version 5.10.0.5904

The Realtek software is running. When I plugin or unplug the speakers, a message comes up telling me so. I tried plugging in headphones into the speaker jack, but no sound.  I downloaded the drivers from Asus's website. I tried disabling the ATI driver and then the Realtek driver to no avail. I uninstalled and reinstalled both drivers. I have checked that the sound level slider is all the way up.

Not sure what to do next. Help please.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2014 - 03:27 PM

Hi

You can find all OEM drivers here...

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M3A78EM/HelpDesk_Download/

Select your O/S

Follow OEM recommendation for installing drivers.

Normally installing the Chipset driver first and the rest in the order of tour choice.

The chipset driver sets many of the hardware parameters for the system.

Lots of luck and please keep BC posted!

#3 helplessgeek

helplessgeek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2014 - 03:38 PM

Thank you for replying. 

I did download all the drivers from the Asus website. I think I installed the chipset drivers first, but am not too sure. Would that cause issues if I didn't?

#4 helplessgeek

helplessgeek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2014 - 08:14 AM

One thing I forgot to mention, because, in my mind, it wasn't relevant, but, then, I am wrong so often. 

I had to replace the power supply also at the time I replaced the hard drive. Could there be a connection I missed?

#5 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 27 September 2014 - 08:08 AM

It wouldn't hurt to go check all the wires. Are you sure you downloaded the right audio drivers? I am assuming you have XP 32 bit. (The realtec drivers on the page cover 32 & 64 bit). The realtec audio driver you loaded is a beta version.

Try installing the one under that one: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M3A78EM/HelpDesk_Download/

Version 5.10.0.5859/6.0.1.58

I'm not sure where that ati driver is coming from. I don't see that listed in the audio download section or the graphics section.

I would uninstall any audio programs from control panel realec and ati. Then remove audio devices from device mgr. If XP starts re-detecting them and asks anything, hit cancel. Install chipset drivers over itself again, then install the realtec driver 5.10.0.5859/6.0.1.58. The ati one is still mysterious to me.

Another thing (if all else fails) would be windows update. See if it shoots any optional updates for your audio devices. There is a possibility of hardware failure due to the power supply issue you had.

I read this: "Check in the BIOS if you have assigned the HD Audio to the FP Connector?
There are 2 setting for the Audio in the BIOS, one is to Enable it and the other is to Direct it to either the back I/O Panel or the FP
." Maybe this got changed somehow? Check it.

The ATI driver might be for HDMI audio. This might be set as the default device. Go to control panel/sounds and devices/audio tab. What does it say under sound playback? See if you can switch to realtec there.

Under the volume mixer in xp there are 2 main levels. rt click on speaker icon & select "open volume control". This is the full mixer. Make sure wav & master are up and not muted. Options dropdown can select different audio device settings. Make sure to check both devices.

I never ran an XP install that had an hdmi port, so I'm not sure how XP responds to that.

Edited by FrankOtheMountaiN, 27 September 2014 - 08:45 AM.

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users