Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook 2010 - Title/Subject [SPAM]

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ivy74

Ivy74

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 25 September 2014 - 12:21 PM

I have a weird one. Out of the blue for the past several days if not weeks my client will get emails with a modified subject of [Spam] in front of the original subject

What I have ruled out:

MXRecord - Pointing to my spam filter. The option to do this has been turned off for years and is still off so they are out.

Hosted Exchange Providing The Email - Their options that could possibly do this has also been turned off for years.

The main user I am researching this on is using Outlook 2010

I checked Add-Ins and nothing security wise (Symantec, Antivirus, Email Protection, etc. none of that is listed)

This happens if they email internally as well as externally (Internal example: someone on the same domain: Example john@mypc.com email Janet@mypc.com)

This client her and I been emailing back and forth for years and our emails are getting tagged "only" on her end with Spam but once she gets that she can reply/forward it to me and that tag remains but the question is what is putting the tag there in the first place.

98% of this environment is Symantec and yes I checked and also for years we removed email protection and so on.

The only recent change was their Sonicwall Firewalls due the previous ones getting fried by a power surge. Short of that not much really has changed here. 

If it were blacklisting since this is hosted Exchange it would be the public IP of what the Hosted Exchange server is on not theirs but still haven't completely ruled that out yet but if I understand this aspect of technology as well as I think I do I think that is a no to being the cause.

I asked my firewall guru if possible if it's the Sonicwalls doing it but in the meantime since I recently signed up here and was already reprimanded for further commenting on a subject I figure I will start a new one and see what the outcome is. That is the answer and how I am treated on here.

***Note***

My job has blocked Europe by the firewall which means I can't access this site from the office anymore. So I will barely be here if at all. In case you cared.  :smash:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 25 September 2014 - 04:23 PM

So when she gets an email from you, the subject line begins with Spam? Somebody's mail server, probably hers, is adding that to the subject line. Have her check the spam settings on her end. You can also check to make sure your DNS zone files contain an spf record -- a lack of such a record often leads to mail being flagged as spam. If emails from her to you are being tagged, then your mail server is probably flagging it.

Outlook isn't the issue here, as Outlook never modifies the subject lines of emails. If it's not the mail server, then some add-on like antivirus is tagging it.

#3 Ivy74

Ivy74
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 26 September 2014 - 08:07 AM

So when she gets an email from you, the subject line begins with Spam? Somebody's mail server, probably hers, is adding that to the subject line. Have her check the spam settings on her end. You can also check to make sure your DNS zone files contain an spf record -- a lack of such a record often leads to mail being flagged as spam. If emails from her to you are being tagged, then your mail server is probably flagging it.

Outlook isn't the issue here, as Outlook never modifies the subject lines of emails. If it's not the mail server, then some add-on like antivirus is tagging it.

I will check the SPF: didn't think of that one.

The people she is emailing or getting emailed by which includes me I know our end isn't doing it otherwise a bunch of our customers would be calling me.

I already checked the antivirus and add-ons.

After hitting post I will check the SPF...thanks.

***Note***

My job has blocked Europe by the firewall which means I can't access this site from the office anymore. So I will barely be here if at all. In case you cared.  :smash:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users